Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP System Recovery (Vista Home)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kwikfishron

kwikfishron

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

So the other day my computer started to crash. I tried all the different scans and it just got worse, couldn't get anything to work to the point that the only way to even turn it off was to unplug it.

I was able to get the System Recovery running, the first step was creating a backup disk saving pictures, word docs, spreadsheets, etc. That all went smooth, system was restored. I ran the backup disc when it asked but now I can’t find any of it. Pictures, bids, job tracking spreadsheets are all gone (or just hiding hopefully).

HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

How did you backup your data?

You can always look in Windows Explorer.

Right click on the Start Orb> click on Open Windows Explorer.

In the smaller left pane click on Local Disk (C:) In the right pane click on Windows. You can look to see if there are any files that look familiar, or you can look at the dates to find the file which was created on that date.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kwikfishron

kwikfishron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

How did you backup your data?

Thanks for the reply…Backing up the files was part of the process when running the “System Recovery” program. It’s the first thing it asks you when you run it. It ask you if you would like to save your pictures, documents, etc. I inserted a disk and clicked yes. At the end of the process it asked me to re-insert the disk and copied the files back to the hard drive.

I found the files it put back on the hard drive. There all basically program files but all of my personal stuff seems to be gone.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Try this...

1. click on start menu

2. In the start search box type regedit and press enter

3. Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER> Software> Microsoft\\> Windows> CurrentVersion> Explorer> User Shell Folders.

4. On the right pane check if you can see the missing files or folders (under Name column) has the default %USERPROFILE% location (under Data column) for it.

5. Right click on the missing files or folders and click modify

6. Type in the default location of the missing personal user folder, then click OK.

7. Close regedit.

8. Restart the computer to restore the folder.

Edited by dc3, 24 December 2012 - 09:18 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kwikfishron

kwikfishron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

6. Type in the default location of the missing personal user folder, then click OK.

Thanks for the help dc3.….I got it up till #6. What is the “default location” I’m suppose to type in, let‘s say for the Pictures Folder?

Thanks.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

If they are pictures and this is where you want them, yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users