Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Video Card wont go away

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dumafach

dumafach

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hello

I had a Nvidia video card and the fan locked up and overheated the card. I had to replace it with ATI Radeon HD 5450. I tried to uninstall the drivers for the Nvidia Geforce 9200. All the drivers would not be deleted.
My system is a HP Pavillion with windows vista home premium 64bit. It has an AMD Phenom 9550 Quad core processor. There are other Nvidia products in this computer so they are all interlaced. I tried to download programs that were supposed to uninstall but there was always 3 drivers that could not be deleted unless I bought the program.

Any way, the 9200 driver keeps re-installing itself and I can't stop it. How can I stop this driver from re-installing.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

There is no correlation between nVidia drivers for video...and chipset drivers. Those are the only two facets of computing where nVidia drivers figure.

If you have no nVidia chipset, then just uninstall the whole lot...via Add/Remove Programs and Device Manager. In fact, I'd do that anyway and just reinstall the chipset drivers, if applicable.

Louis

#3 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Hello hamluis,

That is what worried me. The network card is Nforce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet. I also noticed that other things are run by some type of nvidia driver. I tried to just uninstall the video drivers like the instructions say but it would not delete all nvidia video drivers. I have to keep going back into device manager and uninstalling the nvidia 9200 video card driver.
Is it really safe to wipe out all nvidia drivers?

#4 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Uninstall everything. AFTER run driver sweeper (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/driver-fusion-driver-sweeper/) in safe mode. Remove all traces of Nvidia then reinstall what you need. If you put the exact model you have we can help trace down the drivers you will need.

Edited by KING_OF_SAND, 21 December 2012 - 09:32 PM.

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#5 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hello,

I used driver sweeper when I first installed the new card. It would always state there are 3 files that could not be deleted.

My computer model# m8530f

Product# KT334AA-ABA

I hope this helps.

#6 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hello KING_OF_SAND,

You asked for my computer model number so that it may help. Is the number I gave enough or is there more you need before you can see what I might need?
I would appreciate any advice you could give.

Or anybody else.

Thank You

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

You can do this safely :).

Go into Device Manager...click View/Show Hidden Devices.

Every item that is faint (compared to other known properly working devices)...can be uninstalled. Do that for the items under Display Adapters.

I would actually do this for all items in Device Manager...but that may require more patience than you are willing to have.

Even if you uninstall an item that is working properly...a reboot will result in that item being restored properly.

The faint items reflect drivers/devices which were installed at some time but are no longer necessary. The one exception that I encountered are 2 items under Network Adapters, which will not allow you to uninstall them...which is OK.

Louis

#8 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hello hamluis,

Device manager is where I have been going to uninstall the nvidia 9200 driver after it re-installs itself. Then I use driver sweeper to clear all nvidia display drivers again. Then 2-3 days later under windows update there it is again. I will not download or install but it will do it on it,s own anyway. I don't know what to do.

#9 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Turn off the system, remove video card and user the on-board graphics, turn the system on, remove the drivers. What are these specific drivers that can't be uninstalled?

#10 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hello Jan Benedict,

Thank you for responding. I thought everybody just gave up on me after seeing my model number.

I have done that procedure a couple of times. I use driver fusion to then remove Nvidia display drivers. It would come back with 3 files that could not be removed unless I buy the premium version. After trying many different ways to remove them, I was able to get rid of 2. Driver Fusion shows:C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA. Inside that folder is a folder named Updatus. Inside that folder is 2 files (journalBS.jour) and (updtclient). I have tried to uninstall that but it keeps stating that it can not be uninstalled. I was afraid that with it being in the nvidia folder, maybe it took care of the update on all of the nvidia drivers in this computer.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#11 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

When installing nvidia drivers they usually create another user named "Updatus" which is mainly for updating and maintaning the nvidia drivers and such.. does your motherboard have on-board graphics? if yes then remove the 9200 and uninstall the nvidia drivers.. if problem persist another suggestion might be to use CCleaner to remove the drivers/nvidia programs.. if it still persist, have your tried to re-install OS? if you do re-install OS, don't use any discrete GPU just use the on-board one..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users