Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Android Operating System

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alee56

alee56

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Is there a way to re-install an Android operating system? My tablet is out of warranty and I went through the paces through an online chat and was told my operating system is probably corrupted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

If there's a proper ROM for it, yes. For instance, if you have a Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0, 7 or 10.1) you can find ROMs that will let you replace the original. And I even found one that restored the one I originally had when an alternative ROM got lost in a boot loop.

Some tablets are capable of restoring to factory state when you turn them on. But I only saw a couple of those using older Android versions.

There are a lot of ROMs out there. With the lack of detail you gave, I have no idea if any will work for your tablet. But it's worth a try.

Just google for it. Don't give up. It took me a long while to find something that would properly work with my Acer Iconia, for instance (I dropped it and gave it hardware errors not much after I had it the way I wanted it).

#3 alee56

alee56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

My tablet is also an Acer. It is the Iconia Tab a500, with 3.0 honeycomb. If you have the website and any information on how to install the Android OS, I would greatly appreciate it!

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi

Some questions :)

Was the online chat with Acer?
If it was, did they walk you through an attempt to do a "clean boot"?
If you have tried a "clean boot", what prevented the clean boot from working?

James

#5 alee56

alee56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Acer did try to run me through a re-set with the following instructions:
Power off tablet.
Press and Hold the volume up button.
With the volume up button held, press and hold the power button for 3 seconds then release it. Continue holding the Volume up button.
Once the tablet vibrates, switch the touch screen lock switch on and off repeatedly while still holding the volume up button. Release the Volume up button and stop switching the touch screen lock once the "erasing userdate..." message appears in the upper left corner of the screen.
Once the factory reset has been completed your tablet will load to the Welcome screen.

I got as far as the erasing userdata and the android figure appeared with a triangle and an exclamation point inside the triangle. I gave this information to the Acer chat person and was then told my Android Operating system was corrupted. My choices were to send it in to have it fixed or find someone locally.
I was wondering where to find the Acer OS to download.
Thanks!

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

That's what I was going to suggest :)

Now when you turn it on, you only get the Android robot with the exclamation triangle?

If so, have you tried resetting it with a paperclip?

I forget where the reset hole is on that one (bottom?). If you can't find it, I'll see if I can find out for you.

It's a bit of a longshot but it might get the boot past the part that is causing you a problem.

Installing a ROM on it may be difficult to do yourself. Especially with the problem that you are having.

James

#7 alee56

alee56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I have tried resetting it with a paperclip and I can get back to a screen that is blank and displays the words "Android System" with a gear icon in the upper left hand corner. How do I install the ROM or android operating system now?

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

If you are ready to go down that rabbit hole, it starts here...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1136

The learning curve can be pretty steep and you'll spend a lot of time trying to figure out what to do but once you get through it, just about any other ROM install is pretty easy :)

Remember that doing this stuff can easily brick the device.

I run CyanogenMod on most of my Android devices. Here's a post at XDA about using it on your device though it appears to be a Work In Progress still...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1792618

James

#9 alee56

alee56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I was on that site...also recommended by a Best Buy rep. Good to know!
At the aforementioned screen, I now have a power off box in the middle with it stating shutting down. It is frozen and I cannot access anything further. I have tried all of the previous suggestions and resets but keep coming back to this same screen. Any thoughts?
If this tablet is already corrupted and frozen, how can I re-install the OS? Is it too late?

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Are you able to connect to it with Android Debug Bridge (ADB)?

You're really starting to get into the realm of Android development and I haven't delved into that for nearly a year. I'm not current enough to confidently tell you how to setup your development environment for ROM modifications. Perhaps someone else can jump in here with more suggestions.

James

#11 alee56

alee56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hi James - really appreciate all of your suggestions! I will look into the ADB. Thanks!

#12 abid. ali

abid. ali

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

hi i have a symphony tablet k911 i inserted a crupted mmc after that my tablet turns on but never lgoes farward from wellcome default screen any solution you have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users