Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Added 300gb External Hd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brillo

brillo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:42 AM

Do I need/should I partition the new drive, or add settings in... page file size, or what else? I know practically nothing about this kind of stuff. Or is there a user friendly guide/tutorial you could direct me to answer these questions?

I think I remember that partitioning a drive wipes out whatever is on it. Yes? Any way to avoid that?

So. 1) partition?
2) settings like page file size and what else?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:58 AM

It will depend on what you have planned for the drive. I like to have software available for transferring, you may have a library of music and/or videos. I personally like to keep my drives/partitions to about 40gb. If for some reason yo have to clean a drive/partition it makes it more managable.

In your case you could break it up into 60gb partitions. In the event you have to clear the data off you do not have to format the entire partition, just the partition with the problem.You could make partition 5, 5gb hidden partition and put the XP disk there so you don't have to have the CD for most normal tasks that my require the CD.

It's up to you but I find smaller partitions more useful. IMO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:48 PM

Thanks acklan. Good info. Please recall, I know very little about all this. Seriously, I don't. How do I learn how to do this stuff? How to partition this drive. How to make a hidden partition. How to put XP in the hidden partition. Is there a guide for this? Several perhaps.

What's the best way to get smart as fast as possible. I am educable and willing, however, I wonder if I need to take this to someone experienced/knowledgable/skilled to do it for me. Problem is, I live ~50 miles from town/civilization/really smart geeks, and I don't get in there all that often. Even in town, I think most of the computer folks are just broken down cowboys who probably don't know all that much, just trying to make a living saying they do.

So anyway, should I change page file size or any other settings now that I have this external HD? And do I lose what's on the drive when I partition it? I'm assuming I can move external HD data to the internal, partition the external, move the data back to external, wherever I want it to go. Is that right?

Thanks for the help..... and patience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users