Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unique Bricktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spazimspaz

spazimspaz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

So I purchased a bricktop from craigslist (HP DV4-2045DX) and after turning it on I found the beep code 1 (CPU not functioning) so after downloading the current BIOS (INSYDE) and extracting the appropriate file, copying it 4 times with different extensions (.fd, .bin, .rom, plain file) I also went ahead and opened the descriptor file and copied and renamed the files (4324, 4325, 4326) then placed all the files on a 8 GB USB formated in FAT32. Started the brick up holding win + B, fn + B, win + esc, fn + esc and same blinking lights.

After pushing all four directional keys at once I get the HP splash screen (No BIOS options or prompt) and windows 7 magically starts up. Once the start up was complete and system was on idle I went ahead and flashed bios from windows. Bios flash was a success. Bricktop shuts down and upon starting it back up... poof dead again.

I removed the USB and tried the directional key method again (with and with out the battery) to no avail. I replaced the usb with out the battery and pressed the directional keys and poof (usb blinks a few times) and hp splash screen windows boots up. I've already pulled the CMOS battery twice but that just showed me BIOS reverted to defaults. I also installed the updated UFEI tools from HP on the hard drive.

I'm scanning with Malwarebytes right and will follow up with combofix, avg antivirus, spybot, and superantispyware to make sure its clean.

I read that using a USB to flash UEFI bios doesn't work anymore that a USB floppy disk drive is needed so I will attempt that method later as well as burning a CD with the BIOS on there since it spools the CD drive before displaying the blink code 1.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious in fixing this. The hard drive is solid so its not a disk drive error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spazimspaz

spazimspaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

So I scanned with Malwarebytes, Spybot 2.0, Super Antispyware, and AVG... Found about 1,000 PUPs but nothing of interest. Computer got hung up on the AVG scan and I had to push button shut it down. Now I'm back to trying the directional pad and combo buttons to bring the brick back.

I found a USB drive wedged in the Expresscard slot which was rather odd. I removed it but still nothing. I did check the hard drive partitions and found a new partition... So I have System (198MB win 7?), Local disk (284GB), Recovery (13 GB), and HP Tools (99MB) I'm guessing that win 7 sp1 added the new partition (System).

If I can get the brick to start up again I'll reflash bios a 3rd time. I did update a good majority of the drivers in hope of updating the chipset but HP didn't list the chipset on the service website. I haven't checked the AMD website yet though... Device Manager driver update wasn't any help which wasn't a surprise.

Lastly the CD update doesn't seem to be working. I tried my combo keys and despite the disk drive spooling up and making serious scanning noise it simply wouldn't load anything. The floppy drive install isn't looking like a good prospect since each one of my BIOS test files are 2mb+.

I'm going to pull the CMOS yet again and try the key combos yet again.

Seriously guys 60+ looks and not a single suggestion?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

Seriously guys 60+ looks and not a single suggestion?

Why did you buy this thing to start with if you did not know if it worked or not ??
EDIT -
Still getting over the End Of World Party - Posted Image

Edited by noknojon, 22 December 2012 - 04:55 AM.

#4 spazimspaz

spazimspaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

I got it to repair it duh.

So after pushing the UEFI multi-directional combo I managed to bring back the brick... Only to have windows finish its updates and attempt a restart... which has brought me back to square negative one... The only option I have now is the standard win + b flash bios... only problem is that it won't pick up the thumbdrive with the current BIOS, it spools up the CD drive still but it doesn't really seem to be finding what its looking for, and the HP Tools partition also has a copy of the BIOS files but still I hear the hurricane of cooling and no real activity despite leaving it for about 20 minutes.

I pulled CMOS battery for about an hour and still zilch. I'll reattempt the pull, rest, replug CMOS, hold the directional keys, insert AC, press power tomorrow.

I'm skeptical of the usb floppy method since I'm having such difficulty with the CD and Standard FAT32 USB and the fact that my bios file is 2.2MB and the max a floppy can handle is 1.44MB on a good day...

#5 spazimspaz

spazimspaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

I haven't conceded defeat but im willing to accept the processor may in fact be dead. Im going to head over to the black market aka eBay for a replacement processor... 40 fix ain't bad! And well within my 100 price limit!!! After about 6 hours trying to flash and trigger uefi im guessing the processor really is kaput and the cd drive is just keying up from bios....

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Sorry if I sounded a bit sharp last time - :( Lack of sleep -

However the call you have made seems the best option.
There is a Computer Hardware section of the forum if you do need help installing any bits etc, not my speciality -

Regards -

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Just to give a bit of perspective. 60 views are not necessarily 60 views of potential help. People click on topics for any number of reasons. Be that curiosity, I have the same issue and is there a possible fix, learning and last but not least any one of the multitude of search engine bots indexing the pages and posts. Additionally it could also be that you have a problem that is beyond the scope of ability from all but a limited number of members. Views are just that, somebody clicked the topic, nothing more.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users