Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/CD RW Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tobertek

Tobertek

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

I have a personal built computer that has functioned flawlessly for over two years. I installed Windows 8 Enterprise 90 day trial version and the problem seemed to have developed then. The WIN 8 version expires in 7 days and if unable to solve dvd drive problem this PC will become useless.

Some time after the installation of Win 8 My DVD/CD drive seemed to have trouble reading and writing. It now will not read or write at all.

This is what I know. I have tried two different drives. Each shows up in device manager which identifies the drive correctly. It also says the drive is working correctly. One of the drives, SATA, purchased last year (Asus 24B1ST a-49 manufactured 2010). The other drive is in the PC now. It is older but worked when pulled from working rig some time back. When PC is restarted with boot disk in DVD drive it still boots from HD

What I have done. All these steps have been performed while trying to boot from a Windows Vista DVD.The ASUS drive SATA cable has been replaced. The cable has also been relocated to each of the 6 SATA connectors on the MOBO. The Hard drive with the OS was replaced with a NTFS formatted hard drive with no OS or files on it. All addition deep storage drives were disconnected. Different power connectors from PS were used on DVD drive and hard drive. At each step the PC was restarted attempting to boot from the DVD drive with Win Vista. No pop up message to press any key to boot from CD/DVD. Press F key at boot for boot menu and select DVD drive. Press delete to enter settings and disable all boot devices but DVD drive and or set DVD as first boot device.

Nothing works. Please offer any suggestions to try. Want more info, details, specs, event logs? Just tell me what you want.

Thank You

Edited by Tobertek, 21 December 2012 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

Hi Tobertek,

You don't mention trying any other media in the DVD drive. You mentioned the drive is showing up in device manger which tells me your OS is working. Have your tried a movie DVD and a music CD to rule out bad drives? I have seen DVD drives read CD's and no longer read DVD's so try both. I see you have tried two drives but stranger things have happened... Have you tried the drives in another PC? You mention the drive was pulled from a working rig, is it still around to test the drive in?

Have you tried to open the drive in explorer and view the files on the Vista disk? Have you tried to boot to the Vista DVD in another PC to rule out a bad disk? All you mention is booting the PC to get the OS loader to start.

It looks like the motherboard, PSU and cables can be ruled out.

-Phoenix102

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I know that you have posted that the optical drive is recognized and is operating properly in the Device Manager, but try uninstalling the driver, restart the computer, the installation wizard will install a new driver. See if this helps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Tobertek

Tobertek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

I have tried other DVDs & CDs in both drives. Both boot-able disks and non boot-able. On boot-able disks it goes straight to hard drive boot even if I select boot from CD at start up. In explorer the drive is listed in my computer. But even with a disk in the drive it ejects the disk when double clicked saying please insert a DVD or CD. Right click and select open does the same thing. All disk that have been tried have been tested in my laptop and all open, boot, read, and or write.

I have tried movie DVDs, music CDs, picture DVDs & CDs, software CDs, rescue boot software on CD, and nothing reads.

I have uninstalled the drives in Device Manager each time they are removed. I then restart the PC. I have done this with both drives multiple times and no change.

I have not tested the drives in another PC yet as no other PC is available. I am in the process of patching together a working system from parts on hand. It wont be in a case but will be a functioning system.

Please do not discredit my observation that I believe that Windows 8 somehow caused this. The drive was working perfectly before hand. It started having trouble reading disks shortly after then stopped completely. Windows 8 was downloaded from the Microsoft developer website as an ISO file. It was then burned to disk on the problem PC with the DVD drive that now wont do anything.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

I have uninstalled the drives in Device Manager each time they are removed.

Try uninstalling the driver without removing the drive. Windows may not recognize that a driver is corrupted and will assign that driver to a new additional drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Tobertek

Tobertek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

I have also done that. Uninstalled the drive in device manager then restarted the PC. PC starts, sees the drive, installs drivers. Nothing...

#7 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Please do not discredit my observation that I believe that Windows 8 somehow caused this.

I'm not discrediting anything you say. You are the eyes and ears on this. I am just giving troubleshooting recommendations that were not mentioned in your first post. I am an engineer by trade with over thirty years of troubleshooting under my belt. These are things I would try to figure this out.

What firmware version is the Asus DRW-24B1ST. You should be able to read this in device manager.

Under windows 8 goto Properties of the drive(I'm not looking at a Win8 OS so I'll give you the Win7 instructions).
Click on Hardware>Properties>Details
From the pull down select Hardware Ids
Mine reads the drive model and firmware version.

Here is the latest firmware for your drive.

Getting the ISO from the MSDN site should have no effect on the operation of the drive. Did the OS prompt you to upgrade the drive in any way? I still would like to know how the drive behaves in another PC. If the drives are toast I'm afraid there is not much that can be done but purchase another. Luckily DVD drives can be had for $20 these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users