Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unusable drive partition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eyesilver

eyesilver

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

i have 640GB hard drive on my laptop which i have 3 partitions on it.,, i wanted to dual boot with ubuntu linux 12.04 lts but every shrink space allocated i made is unusable on each partition. On DRIVE C: I have 97.56GB , D: 200.43GB , E: 298.08. what i did was after shrinking the drive i restart & recheck if i can install it., but the device is still unusable status.
what is the best way to be able to install it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

• What is the actual error?
  • What step are you taking? i.e. Are you using fdisk, GParted or something similar to change the partition type, then formatting?
  • Which of the partitions are you trying to use? In essence they hsould all work.
  • Unless you break one of the other partitions up, you'll have trouble. You can install without a swap partition (the extra partition I mentioned), but you'll end up having to add a swapfile, which is much slower, unless you have a whole lot of memory. Since the drive size is 640G I'm guessing you don't have a whole lot of memory.
If the partition type is ntfs, vfat or anything that doesn't allow the proper permission scheme, it's not going to work. At the very least that has to be changed. But there are possibly other errors that could cause a partition to be unusable, too. Generally those can be fixed by formatting, but not if there are, for example, hard errors on the partition.

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

As I setup dual boot and use a shared partition and/or drive for data I'm guessing you use the same.

As noted above if you don't have a LOT of RAM you will need a 4th partion for a small swap drive, which is the same thing as a pagefile in windows. Size is arguable but between 2GB and 4GB should be fine for x86 systems.

Use a liveCD/DVD with gparted and make/format all the partitions prior to any install, including the swap partition. If doing a dual boot make sure you install Windows first, then your Linux OS. The Linux OS will handle the boot-loading of each OS much better than if you let windows by installing it second.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users