Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netbook Won't Resume from Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DarrylB

DarrylB

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

I have a Asus 1201N netbook running Windows 8 32 bit and lately, more often than not, it won't resume from hibernation but rather restarts completely. The first evidence of trouble is the BIOS screen appears (normally just the Asus logo shows) running through several items. I've attached a screen shot. At the bottom of the screen it states:

Please Enter setup to recover BIOS setting:
Press F1 to run SETUP
Press F2 to load default values and continue

I press F2, the computer continues booting and then most of the time it doesn't return from hibernation but restarts.

Maybe 1/4 of the time it does resume from hibernation. And maybe 1 time in 10 there is no BIOS screen and the computer just starts and resumes from hibernation.

Event Viewer shows the same logs after every failed return from hibernation:
Error, EventID 16: Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.
Error, EventID 6008: The previous system shutdown at 9:25:51 PM on 12/18/2012 was unexpected.
Critical, EventID 41: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

So it appears that the resume operation failed and then Windows restarts. There are no errors displayed at the time, just the BIOS screen that starts things off.

What I've tried so far:
- checked the Kingston SSD with CrytalDiskInfo and it reports all is well
- turned off hibernation to delete the hiberfil.sys file (command prompt: powercfg -h off), rebooted, restarted hibernate
- scaned with Norton Internet Security 2012 and all is well
- ran memtest for several hours and no problems found
- checked Device Manager and no device problems found
- BIOS fully updated
- drivers up to date as far as I know
- removed SD card in card reader; no change

This problem started prior to the upgrade to Windows 8, it was present with Windows 7 so I wonder if it's hardware problem. For some reason the BIOS settings don't load and I have to enter setup or take default settings.

My system specs are available here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/aTbMftz5qUg2ac5Y2YdX0Jh

I'd like to sort out of this is a hardware problem or a software problem but an unsure what to try next.

Thanks for any ideas.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KING_OF_SAND

KING_OF_SAND

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you have an Nvidia GPU in your computer?

And I was right. This was a VERY common issue with Nvidia and ASUS when it came to sleep and hibernate. This happened to me back when I had my ASUS G71 laptop. As far as I was able to find there is no fix.

Edited by KING_OF_SAND, 21 December 2012 - 09:37 PM.

AMD OVERCLOCKED rig

Posted Image

INTEL OVERCLOCKED rig (OLD)

Posted Image

#3 DarrylB

DarrylB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

As I was looking at the Speccy output I noticed that it said I only had Total Physical Memory of 767 MB, when I have 4 GB installed. I checked into Resource Monitor and saw that there was 3.3 GB as system reserved. I also noticed that the screen shot I posted of the BIOS screen also only showed 767 MB available.

I rebooted, entered the BIOS setup (it does show all 4 GB of RAM) and changed the boot order back to what I wanted (and not the defaults I get by pressing F2), saved and exited. Once back into Windows, all 4 GB shows up with about 700 now as system reserved.

Then I hibernated the computer. When I resumed from hibernate, the BIOS screen came back, only 767 MB was available, and the resume failed. It appears the resumption from hibernation cannot deal with this change in memory allocated by the BIOS.

So it seems there is a problem with the BIOS and/or hardware where only a portion of the RAM is made available to the system. Any ideas what that might be? The computer was trouble free for 2 years and has only done this recently. Maybe some hardware component is starting to fail.

KING_OF_SAND, thanks for your comments. It just might be that I'm headed down that same path.

#4 DarrylB

DarrylB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

A final follow up to this issue.

I discovered (from lots of searching and experimenting) that there is something going on with screen brightness and hibernation. If the screen brightness is at the brightest setting everything works fine. If the brightness is set less than 100% the resume from hibernation does not work. Something is going on in the BIOS that does do the hand off from the BIOS to the OS properly when the screen brightness is less than 100%.

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

OK, couple of possibilities come to mind. Have you checked for BIOS updates for the computer? Have you run any memory diagnostics such as Memtest 86+?

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 DarrylB

DarrylB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yes, I've checked for BIOS updates and done a thorough job of running scans and updating drivers.

Asus doesn't provide any more updates for this netbook and it's just a limitation of installing a new OS on an older device. I posted my results so others having the same issue might learn from my experience.

Edit to add: I just read my original post and it didn't actually start with Windows 7. It started with Windows 8 but if the issue was in place with Win8 when I reloaded a (True Image) image of Win7 it persisted. With a clean running system prior to reloading a Win7 image all is well.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by DarrylB, 21 July 2013 - 02:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users