Please Enter setup to recover BIOS setting:
Press F1 to run SETUP
Press F2 to load default values and continue
I press F2, the computer continues booting and then most of the time it doesn't return from hibernation but restarts.
Maybe 1/4 of the time it does resume from hibernation. And maybe 1 time in 10 there is no BIOS screen and the computer just starts and resumes from hibernation.
Event Viewer shows the same logs after every failed return from hibernation:
Error, EventID 16: Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.
Error, EventID 6008: The previous system shutdown at 9:25:51 PM on 12/18/2012 was unexpected.
Critical, EventID 41: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
So it appears that the resume operation failed and then Windows restarts. There are no errors displayed at the time, just the BIOS screen that starts things off.
What I've tried so far:
- checked the Kingston SSD with CrytalDiskInfo and it reports all is well
- turned off hibernation to delete the hiberfil.sys file (command prompt: powercfg -h off), rebooted, restarted hibernate
- scaned with Norton Internet Security 2012 and all is well
- ran memtest for several hours and no problems found
- checked Device Manager and no device problems found
- BIOS fully updated
- drivers up to date as far as I know
- removed SD card in card reader; no change
This problem started prior to the upgrade to Windows 8, it was present with Windows 7 so I wonder if it's hardware problem. For some reason the BIOS settings don't load and I have to enter setup or take default settings.
My system specs are available here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/aTbMftz5qUg2ac5Y2YdX0Jh
I'd like to sort out of this is a hardware problem or a software problem but an unsure what to try next.
Thanks for any ideas.