Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are the best upgrades to speed up your system?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pooboy

pooboy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Got an issue that's bugging me - bought a new Samsung laptop two weeks ago. Upgraded from my 4 year old HP to be able to do more video editing and multitasking. New system has an I7 processor and I got the ram upgraded from 8gb to 16gb.
The problem I have is that even though I've only installed a few basic programs on it (MS Office, Kaspersky, Acrobat, and a mapping program)the basic functions of opening programs, files, webpages etc. seem even slower than my old HP. Task Manager says CPU and Memory are both running below 20% pretty much all the time. What's the deal here? Do Samsungs just suck? How can I make this better? SSD Drive? Wipe it and re-install what I need?
I'm reasonably pc-savvy, but not a tech wizard by any means. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Eliminate the obvious. Try http://www.hdtune.com/download.html . Find out what your read numbers are.

While in device manager, ck for any problems (yellow exclamation marks) with components. Possible, but unlikely problem with chipset drivers. Oh, what is idle CPU usage?

If everything checks out, then it might be SSD time. I have SSDs on 3 of my systems, and it spoils you.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 pooboy

pooboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the info dpunisher. Idle CPU stays mostly at 0%, occasionally up to 1%. Here's the numbers from the basic HD Tune (I opened a web page part way through the scan and the transfer rate took a nose dive. Perhaps I wasn't supposed to do that)

HD Tune: ST1000LM024 HN-M101M Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 1.1 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 112.3 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 75.9 MB/sec
Access Time : 22.0 ms
Burst Rate : 153.4 MB/sec
CPU Usage : -1.0%

No alerts in Device Manager, either. What kind of transfer rates could I expect with SSD? Also, if I were to go that route, is there a recommended brand/model? What do these go for $$-wise? I don't need the 1TB HDD I'm currently running (I mostly use externals for data storage) but I'd probably like a minimum of 256GB. Thamks again for your time and advice!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

FWIW:

My 1TB Seagate SATA drive (over a year old):

Transfer rate avg: 102.1, Access time: 15.5, Burst rate: 162.6

Louis

#5 pooboy

pooboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

Hmmmm....interesting. Does anyone have any numbers from a SSD?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

12mth old 128GB Crucial M4 (middling fast SSD);

Transfer Rate Minimum : 187.4 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 321.6 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 296.3 MB/sec
Access Time : 0.072 ms
Burst Rate : 124.5 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 5.1%

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 pooboy

pooboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Platypus.....might be SSD time!

#8 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

There will come a time in every man's life when he makes the move to solid state....welcome to the dark side ;)
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users