Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gakon5

Gakon5

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Hi all, Just to say hello and get off to a good start here.
Actually, I use my Mac most of the time and have had many computers since the early 80's and studied on a "Digiac" even before that.
Just to expand my knowledge with computers, I decided to get a small Laptop PC with windows a few years back, just to see and learn how most of the world is getting along, as most the world uses PC's. I guess I am really a little geeky, as I always liked math/science type things. It's the only thing which seemed to make sense. I was a math major in college but never did graduate. Ended up playing drums in a band.
Then finally started painting & wallpapering and did it for 40 years. Now I'm 71 and trying to be retired but still work if need be.
I ran this little PC for a few years without a firewall installed and really don't know how I kept out of trouble. I have one now.
A few weeks ago I had my first real experience with some male-ware. I think it was what they call a "hijack" type thing.
I had downloaded an update to "JZip", at least I thought I did. It said it was from source-forge so I just went along with it.All of a sudden my home page (one, which I had created myself,for fun) was replaced by a (or what looked like) a Google search page with just a search bar in the middle.
I managed to re-find my own home page but something definitely had taken control. The Read Me that came with the JZip files were talking about how to use Zork, which was an ancient database game of old, which I actually recall playing 30 years ago. Anyway, I started to explore the world of PC viruses, worms, male ware, etc and it has taken up a lot of my time lately and I think I finally have control of my system again but perhaps not.
I think it should be a little faster with some basic things, so will keep at it.
Quite interesting stuff really, but what sick fun do people get out of trying to screw up peoples systems.
Some are just bored, I guess.
Anyway, Hi again, hope to be of some help, if I can.
Happy Holidays
shttp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup2.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Happy Holidays to you as well. It should come as no surprise to you that the Windows environment is constantly under attack by malware in many different forms. If you are still having problems with whatever disease your hard drive got, post about the symptoms in the Am I Infected? Forum and our Members can help you.
Thanks for joining, and welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Gakon5

Gakon5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Thanks John,
Yes, it's quite incredible what and how much is going on "behind the scenes" on the internet and deep inside our systems.
I've seen reports that there are hundreds more each day that challenge us. What a shame.
I will be making the BC forum a daily stop as part of my Internet browsing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users