Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is my router a zombie (alive but not really)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tim2286

tim2286

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

I have internet when it's connected directly, not when it's connected via router. Everything was fine yesterday, today in the morning nothing. Same cable that was plugged into router from the modem, i plug into computer, it works. when i plug it back into a router it blinks red next to where it says modem. Time to get a new router or can this be fixed?

ive disconnected it from power muplitple times and same thing happens.

Edited by tim2286, 20 December 2012 - 09:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Do you have other computers that connect by LAN on the router? Modem (WAN port) -> Router -> (WAN port) -> Computer (LAN port router to Ethernet port). Is this how they were connected? Did you try power cycling both modem and router first?

Tekken

#3 tim2286

tim2286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Im not up on the terminology WAN or LAN. A modem connects via ethernet port to either computer's ethernet port or router's ethernet port. The router set up is: 2 wired connections to 2 desktops (I think that's LAN) and multiple wireless connections (laptops, cell phones, ps3 etc). The 'main' computer, the one in question has a wired connection from the router. It's a belkin f5d7234 by the way. The main problem as far as i see it is that the router is not properly connecting to the modem. everything else is secondary, i could be wrong though.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

The modem has only one LAN and WAN port while a router only or modem and router in one has one WAN port and usually 4 LAN ports. The WAN to WAN connection is for the modem and router, then wired or ethernet are on the router's 4 port for the desktop. Does the other desktop able to connect or have you tried using another available ethernet port on the belkin router?

Tekken

#5 tim2286

tim2286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

This is my modem: http://optimum.com/images/right_now/modem_sadpx2203big.jpg
The cable is plugged into what is labeled 'ethernet'. The equipment is provided by the cable company. The router has 5 ports that look like the 'ethernet' port in the picture. One says modem, the other 4 say wired.

Something I should have mentioned: Everything connects (wired and wireless) to the router but there is no internet.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

Since its cable, try seeing this link http://www.myinsight.com/Help-broadband-cablemodems-7110.asp
Turn off the computer,modem and router. Connect the cable modem ethernet port to the router's WAN port(the single port), then wire the computer to one of the belkin's 4 ports. Power on the modem and router and wait for them to establish the full connection and green led lights. Turn on computer. To check and access your router settings, go to cmd prompt and type ipconfig/all. Look for default gateway and use the ip address of the URL browser box and type in the router's ip address. You just need to make sure the DHCP on LAN is enabled. Belkin Manual

Edited by jhayz, 21 December 2012 - 01:42 AM.

Tekken

#7 tim2286

tim2286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

i did that, still nothing. got a new router, it took the router about 20 mins to establish a connection with the modem but everything works now. still dont quite know whether the problem was with the modem or with the router but it works now and i dont care, thanks jhayz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users