Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can scratches be removed from DVD's?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

I bought myself a set of 'Blakes Seven' DVD's for Christmas but one has got a deepish quarter-inch scratch on it that freezes play(sniffle).
I can hit 'next scene' to skip over it but I lose about 10 minutes of playback.
It's too much trouble to send the whole lot back for replacement or refund, so shall i have a shot at repairing it? I think I heard somewhere that a dollop of toothpaste can be rubbed into scratches to remove them, but my scratch is deep like I said, but shall I have a go anyway?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'll put it this way. I wouldn't try to polish it out. That will probably void any warranty.

Just as a point of information. On a CD Rom the data is just under top top layer of lacquer. Whereas on a DVD the data is in the middle of the disk. Depending on deep the scratch is that data may be safe. Only you can judge that.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Usually if Pledge (furniture polish)and tissues cannot remove the scratches then the disc can possibly be refinished with a special buffer machine and Jeweler's Rouge or a similar compound. If the scratch is too deep though even that may not fix the skip.

Something like this will work on light scratching Home Use DVD Repair Machine (yes, it says Professional but its not)

If that doesnt work try calling around to local CD, DVD, and Game Resellers to see if they offer the service of cleaning discs (their machines are much more effective and usually the service is $1-2 a piece), you can buy one of this style machine for use at home but they can damage the disc (heat built up from polishing, warps/burns the plastic) and they aren't cheap usually starting at $100 and some are even more then $1000 depending on what all the machine does.

Posted Image

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

I bought myself a set of 'Blakes Seven' DVD's for Christmas but one has got a deepish quarter-inch scratch on it that freezes play(sniffle).
I can hit 'next scene' to skip over it but I lose about 10 minutes of playback.
It's too much trouble to send the whole lot back for replacement or refund, so shall i have a shot at repairing it? I think I heard somewhere that a dollop of toothpaste can be rubbed into scratches to remove them, but my scratch is deep like I said, but shall I have a go anyway?

Since you just bought it, return it and get a replacement.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

One other option, I searched http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blakes+7 and came up with full episodes. Maybe your damaged episode is one of them. Here is a sample of what I found Blake's 7 - S1 E02 'Space Fall' Link is here

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'll have to look at this one, Blake's 7 - S1 E01 'The Way Back' (Pilot) and see how I like it.

Hope this helps
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, the 'returns' small print says something about the product must be returned unopened so I can't return it.
No sweat, I can live with the scratch, it only lost me about 10 minutes viewing fron a total of many hours.
Incidentally, the scratched episode is not on youtube.

PS- Any Blakes Seven fans out there? For the record the show was made in 4 series, series 1 and 2 are free on youtube but you have to buy series 3 and 4 on DVD like I did.
Incidentally what's the legal situation concerning selling DVD's? Could I sell my series 3 and 4 sets to somebody now that I've watched them?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 18 January 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Hi,
If you really wanted to see the missing 10 minutes you could buy the individual series

Blake's 7 - Series 3 [DVD] [1980]
Blake's 7 - Series 4 [DVD]

Or what I would do is contact the people (Studio) that maed teh DVD set and ask about warranty.

As far as I know, You can sell Your Commercial DVDs as long as You do not keep any copies. You can not sell DVDs you make except the ones where you create the content.

This sort of applies I suspect.
EU Court Says, Yes, You Can Resell Your Software, Even If The Software Company Says You Can't

Over in Europe, however, it appears that the European Court of Justice (who has been pushing out some relatively insightful rulings on copyright issues lately) seems to recognize just how ridiculous the 9th Circuit's view on first sale and software really is. In a new ruling, it has upheld the right of first sale on software, basically saying that you are buying a license and that license is resellable.

The specific case involved a company, UsedSoft, that was trying to create a market in reselling used software. Oracle sued, claiming that its license agreement specifically stated that it could not be resold. However, the court found that the right of first sale applied. In the court's language, it talks about copyright "exhaustion" which is the idea that once you've sold something you've "exhausted" your right to control it.

That is the closest I found in a quick search. However I have a feeling if you look on amazon.uk or the UK Ebay you will find planty of used DVD movies for sale.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thanks, I might try to get the individual scratched disk replaced..:)

PS-I've already got the boxed sets totalling 10 DVD's,the scratched disk is one of them

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 19 January 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, the 'returns' small print says something about the product must be returned unopened so I can't return it..........

Such small print is absolute nonsense. There is no way you can know if the disks are playable without opening the package and playing them. I usually buy from Amazon and they have always accepted returns. Some disks don't have any scratches but will not play on any of my 4 DVD drives. No issue with Amazon. It's always worth trying to get an exchange. Any decent vendor wants repeat business.

If you are actually in the UK, Sale of Goods Act 1979. If the disks are not fit for the intended purpose then they cannot wheedle out if it by some BS statement. Plenty of online guides on SOGA, eg this link, tab 5 Faulty Goods. The retailer is responsible unless they can prove you damaged them. There's always the threat of taking them to small claims court.

Edit: I think the main reason they put in that small print is to deter people from ordering DVDs, ripping them and then returning for a refund. If you are not a persistent returner, you may have some joy.

Edited by Nanobyte, 28 January 2013 - 03:03 AM.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hi, Not to mention that returns and exchanges of defective are different.

For example if I buy a book, it is not returnable, However if I start reading it and find some pages are missing it can and should be exchanged for a complete copy. The same logic applies to movies or TV shows on tape or disk.

Since the copy is defective it should be replaced. It can't be returned for a refund for the reason Nanobyte suggests when he says:

I think the main reason they put in that small print is to deter people from ordering DVDs, ripping them and then returning for a refund

Cheers
Roger

Edit: General rule for retail is that consumables can not be returned unless unopened, Things like Ink/toner cartridges, Batteries, DVDs. Books not returnable at all as the do not come sealed. To name a few things.

In My opinion clothes and shoes should be banned by law from being returned.

Edited by rotor123, 28 January 2013 - 11:13 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#11 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Returns is a grey area, for example i bought a book from Waterstones last year but I forgot I'd already bought the same book a few years before, so i took it back next day, told them I'd made a fool of myself, and they smilingly let me exchange it for a new one.

And some years ago I bought a computer game from GAME but when I unwrapped the cellophane packaging at home the box was empty!

I went back to tell them, and although their eyebrows raised a bit suspiciously they replaced it, probably because I was a regular customer.

PS- my Blakes Seven saga is over, I gave the boxed set away free to somebody, he won't like the scratch but he can't complain..:)

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

I never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Or When the price is right.........

Thanks for posting back

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users