Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD from malware bytes please help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sysyphus

Sysyphus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hey, so I decided to do a quick check of my computer with malwarebytes and it suggested to remove two items and to restart the computer. I restarted it and now my laptop will not start up. I can not go into safe mode, all that happens is I get a black screen with : _ flashing in the top left corner.

I followed the advice in this thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic389063.html but I get nowhere. It says there are no devices found after the first step of choosing my language. (My usb stick isn't lighting up so maybe my computer isn't reading it?)

Help would be appreciated. I've used this before on other computers and this has not happened to me. Frustrated currentl;y

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2012 - 08:30 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

At what did the operation fail ??
Did you do this to remove a specific infection that you can remember ??

#3 Sysyphus

Sysyphus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

I had no problems I knew of it was just to double check. It's a fairly new laptop and I only really browse facebook and a weightlifting forum so I don't know where I would of got something. Malware bytes said it was going to remove a GAME.... (...= something I cant remember). And so the white screen with languages pops up, then I choose english. It tries to start up and says no devices found. Fatal server error : No screens found

Please consult at the x.org foundation support.... Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log for additional information. If you want I can type out literally everything it says.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

I have just checked the x.org foundation support, if that is the actual site you mean, and it offered no problems (and no help) -

First make sure the laptop is plugged into a power source, and not just on battery
How many times have you rebooted or fully shut down the computer since this occurred ??

Thanks -

#5 Sysyphus

Sysyphus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Yup I have probably restarted it about 5 times before I looked into it. Thats when I found hat post. It is plugged into a power source as well.

But I just took the cd/usb stick out and restarted the computer and it started up asking if I should launch startup repair (Recomended) or should I start it normally. Thanks for any help I am not computer savy

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

started up asking if I should launch startup repair (Recomended) or should I start it normally

Please try either of these options -

Start with ->>launch startup repair (Recomended) and follow it with >> start it normally -

#7 Sysyphus

Sysyphus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Thanks a lot my laptop started up! Now I'm just afraid to restart my laptop ever again haha

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

From what you were saying .........
With a CD and a USB stick in it, they were feeding it the wrong messages -

Can you access Programs Menu (not Icons) normally now ??

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Please list your Normal Antivirus program(s)

#10 Sysyphus

Sysyphus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Yea the usb stick and cd were to boot up my laptop (pud.exe). Norton anti-virus. I'm not a fan cause it slows my computer but I have no viruses... That I know of!

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

You can go HERE to see Uninstalling your Norton or Symantec product

If you wish we can then install a Free option for you, (only if you wish) -
The choice is yours -
Spelling Edit Only -

Edited by noknojon, 20 December 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

<<I followed the advice in this thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic389063.html but I get nowhere.>>

The suggestions/posts in that topic...relate to an infected system.

Since the variables from one system to another...and one user to another...vary, it is not suggested for anyone to take suggestions made for a given situation (A) and apply those same suggestions to a different situation (B).

I will move your topic to the Am I Infected forum where more knowledgeable (than my own) opinions re the possibility of malware will be made.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users