Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very similar situation

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

I have a very similar problem as http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic433275.html

I have a dv9723cl. At some point, the optical drive stopped being recognized, even in BIOS. The mechanics worked fine (it would open and close) but the BIOS didn't see it. I thought it was just the drive and I could still use the computer otherwise so I ignored it. Then about 2 months later, the primary hard drive location stopped being recognized. It too seems to be fine mechanically (I can tell it's spinning up). But again, nothing in BIOS. I was at a loss after disassembling and checking all the solder points to make sure there were no burnt traces or anything like that. It all looks good. I put it back together, and the hard drive magically worked again (I really didn't do anything except check the motherboard with a magnifying glass ... and I wasn't even out in the sun at the time) for about 5 months. The optical still did not work and was not recognized in BIOS. After the 5 months, it just quit again. I took it apart and put it back together several times trying to find anything that might explain it, but could find nothing. So I did a search and saw the thread mentioned above. I put the hard drive into the secondary slot, ran the diagnostics (it was recognized just fine there) and so far it is 60% into the "Comprehensive" test without a problem. I'll edit this post if it does fail, but I'm not expecting it to fail.

So, does anyone have any ideas? Please let me know. One thing that the OP of the previous topic said was that the computer should boot whether the drive is in the primary or secondary location. But I don't think that's the case ... at least not on this one. If I don't go into BIOS, an error flashes (WAY too fast to be able to read) and the computer reboots.

Thanks in advance for ANY suggestions anyone might have.

Edit: The drive passed diagnostics 100%, but still would not boot from the secondary location saying that the operating system was not found. I moved the drive over to another dv9000 series machine, and it failed there in the primary slot (where another drive was working there just fine). It turns out that the connector on that drive was flaky. I replaced it and it is now recognized in the primary slot on both machines. So that part is done. But, the optical is still a no-go. I tried swapping with the optical from the other machine and it still didn't work.

Someone, please offer me some ideas.

Edited by Bryan Mohr, 20 December 2012 - 11:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users