Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly built computer failing to POST and shutting down

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RedHydra

RedHydra

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hello, I was referred here in order to try and get a problem resolved that I have had since I built my computer. I've taken it to several shops and after a lot of tinkering on their side and mine, we've hit a wall and are stumped. Firstly, I'll start by listing the essential components to my build so anyone who reads this will know exactly what I am working with.

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

PSU - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Hybrid RS-850-SPHA-D3 850W Intel ATX 12V V2.3 & SSI EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Panel Power Supply with Fan Control

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5, DVI, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-way SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2680-KR

Assembly and installation of all these components went smoothly. I had no errors and have had some prior experience with building computers in the past. However, upon start up it immediately shut itself down after only a few seconds. I reseated the RAM, tried different ports, and only used one stick at a time and still nothing. I removed the RAM entirely and the motherboard stayed on and gave me an error beep to let me know there was no RAM. If I put the RAM back in, it will shut itself off again. I assumed it was a bad batch of RAM, but upon replacement I had the same issue. Below I'll put a list of all the things that have been tried to hopefully narrow things down for a diagnosis.

1 - RAM was reseated, tried individually, and eventually replaced.
2 - RAM that was known to work prior to being put onto the motherboard was tried, also to no avail.
3 - CPU and CPU fan were reseated.
4 - All plugs were reseated.
5 - Multiple power supplies were used with the same result.
6 - Different power configurations were used on the supplemental CPU power port. 4, 6, 8, all to no avail. However, having no pins in the supplemental port allowed the computer to start and run continuously, but with no POST beep at all.
7 - The motherboard was inspected for shorts and blown capacitors.
8 - The motherboard itself was pulled out and the stand offs were checked for proper seating.
9 - Screws holding motherboard into the stand offs are not over tightened, nor are they too loose.
10- Motherboard battery was removed to reset it to factory default.
11- ASUS was called for technical support.

None of these solutions have made a difference, the computer will start and then shut itself off seconds later without fail on every boot regardless of what we've tried. I believe I've exhausted my knowledge of troubleshooting hardware and may have to replace my motherboard and hope for the best. If anyone has any other ideas to try, please feel free to post here. I will respond in as timely of a manner as I can, and when a solution is found I will post it here in case someone else is having the same issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kadfr

kadfr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

I have had a simular problem and I traced it to a bent pin in the CPU socket. Beleve me its hard to see, you need to get really upclose with a 10x lope and a lot of light.

Hope it isen't this but if it is then its fixable with a lot of patience. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CAUSE MORE DAMAGE THAN YOU FIX!!!

If it isen't that then definantly is a bad or damaged CPU

#3 kadfr

kadfr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

RE: your item 6 should of led you to suspect a power short at the CPU or it's socket.

#4 RedHydra

RedHydra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

Unfortunately I have no way of testing my CPU to see if it's bad. I have no other motherboard available to me that has a socket for it. I also don't have a magnifying glass that would allow me to inspect for bent pins. Unfortunately this leaves me with flipping the coin on RMAing my motherboard, and hoping that it isn't my CPU that is the issue.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Why no specs on the RAM?

Louis

#6 RedHydra

RedHydra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

I've simply ruled RAM out as an issue. It's been tested in another board with the same PSU, so it's working and definitely not shorting anything out. I might have actually discovered a solution during my extensive research into my board.

It seems that the z68 chipset on my particular ASUS motherboard does not support a i7-3770K without downloading a BIOS version update. This presents a looping issue for me, because I would need a support processor to get the computer working in order to download the BIOS update. I don't have a spare processor lying around, so I cannot download the BIOS update. I've RMA'd for a refund from Newegg (origin of purchase) and I've bought a gigabyte motherboard with a z77 chipset. This should solve the issue and if so I'll make sure to confirm it here in case anyone else ever runs into this issue.

Edited by RedHydra, 21 December 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#7 RedHydra

RedHydra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

Returning to update this issue in case anyone else might stumble across this problem. The issue was indeed that the z68 chipset motherboard I ordered did not properly support an i7-3770K right out of the box. Poor or misleading advertising lead to this mistake. I ordered a new board with a z77 chipset and I got the computer up and running today. Thank you for the help that was offered.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thank you for providing feedback on your situation...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users