Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI Moneypak Virus

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sally in Cali

Sally in Cali

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

My boss has tasked me with fixing his old laptop, which is proving impossible. I've tried every internet fix I can find, and nothing works. Please help if you can.

Infected Computer:
Dell Inspiron E1505
Windows XP Media Center Edition

Problem:
FBI Moneypak Virus

Details:
- With F8, can NOT access safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt
- "Set Defaults" in F2 bios setup menu NOT effective
- When set to USB for primary boot via F12, Malwarebytes NOT effective, HitmanPro NOT effective. (flash drive lights up, thinks, flashes, etc, but nothing happens)

Notes:
- Do NOT have original recovery discs.
- Do have access to an iMac & empty flash drive for any internet download needs.

If this is possible to fix, please let me know. If it's a goner at this point, again, just let me know. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

I've asked one of our MRT personnel to try to assist, please be patient :).

Louis

#3 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

- When set to USB for primary boot via F12, Malwarebytes NOT effective, HitmanPro NOT effective.

Go into more detail on this please. As far as I know Malwarebytes does not provide a bootable USB solution.
Regarding HitmanPro, do you mean that you have tried HitmanPro.Kickstart ( http://www.surfright.nl/en/kickstart ) ?

Try HitmanPro.Kickstart if you have not done so already.

#4 Sally in Cali

Sally in Cali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

I'm trying to run it now. (2nd try).

I'm not getting a fully functioning screen. I can see the user license agreement, but it won't let me click "accept" and doesn't even show the "next" button. I have tried clicking the box and pressing enter, multiple times in case I just can't see the check, but it is not letting me proceed.

My boss says he thinks the laptop is a 32bit, but the only pc I could download from was a 64bit, and it would not let me download any other version. Could this be causing the problem?

Edited by Sally in Cali, 20 December 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#5 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

I would say there is a 99% chance that your boss's computer is 32-bit.

Here is the link to download HitmanPro compatible for 32-bit systems: http://dl.surfright.nl/HitmanPro.exe

#6 Sally in Cali

Sally in Cali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'm off for the afternoon, but will return to continue trying to fix it tomorrow 10:00am PST/7:00am EST. At the moment, I am stuck though, so any suggestions between now and then that I can start with tomorrow, I would appreciate. Thank you.

#7 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Here is another alternative:

Please create the CD and run the WindowsUnlocker program as described here: http://support.kaspersky.com/8005

Edited by thisisu, 20 December 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#8 Sally in Cali

Sally in Cali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

I still couldn't get the 32bit version of HitmanPro to work. I'm trying the Kasperkey solution as we speak.

#9 Sally in Cali

Sally in Cali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

And the virus even defeated Kasperkey. I followed all the instructions, made the rescue disc, set the comp to boot from the cd rom drive, and after a lot of black screen thinking, clicking, and disc reading noise, the virus page is still the only thing that came up. I never got the Kasperkey screen.

Any other ideas?

#10 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

I still couldn't get the 32bit version of HitmanPro to work.

You would need a 32-bit version of Windows in order to run and create the KickStart USB.

#11 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

And the virus even defeated Kasperkey. I followed all the instructions, made the rescue disc, set the comp to boot from the cd rom drive, and after a lot of black screen thinking, clicking, and disc reading noise, the virus page is still the only thing that came up. I never got the Kasperkey screen.

It sounds like the CD-Rom drive is defective to me. Is it able to read any bootable CD at all? Do you have an external CD/DVD drive that you could use?

Any other ideas?

Working on it.. will post when I have something else to try.

#12 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Kaspersky Rescue Disk for USB -- http://support.kaspersky.com/8092

Dr.Web® LiveUSB -- http://www.freedrweb.com/liveusb/?lng=en

Edited by thisisu, 21 December 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#13 Sally in Cali

Sally in Cali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

We don't have access to another computer that is 32bit. Only 64bit and Mac. So, there is nothing else I can do there. And the CD/DVD rom drive was working fine til this virus. And it still works as far as I can tell. It spins the discs, it thinks, it reads, and it tries to run the programs, but after several additional minutes of black screen listening to the drive run, it finally stops and the virus appears.

I'm having him look at just getting a cheap refurb or xmas special for a backup comp instead of this one. Honestly, at this point, I think it's his best bet. What do you think?

#14 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Please refresh this page and try the options in the previous post. Try the Kaspersky Disk to USB first.

You may also try burning the Kaspersky Rescue Disk to CD at the slowest possible speed.

Edited by thisisu, 21 December 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#15 Sally in Cali

Sally in Cali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

The Kasperkey disc still didn't work.

The Dr.Web seems to be having slightly better luck. It's main screen came up & I selected English. I'm scanning now. Cross your fingers. I'll post when it's finished.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users