Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Access Problem For Client's Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Animas Computer Services

Animas Computer Services

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:43 AM

Hi All,

I have a client that's computer - Sony Vaio desktop running Win XP - is apparently suffering from some sort of spyware infestation that has broken his internet access. He has a DSL connection and cannot even reach his DSL router by IP address. The problem is very similiar to another PC that Icleaned that had been infected w/newDotnet. I was able to fix the damage done by newDotnet in that case using LSP Fix. I ran LSP Fix on this client's PC but it didn't find anything wrong. I also ran winsockfix but that didn't correct the problem. When he initially suspected he had an infestation, he went out and purchased webroot spysweeper. He said it found a couple of things and apparently cleaned them. I think that whatever spysweeper removed is what's done the damage to his IP stack but am not sure how fix at this point. We know his DSL router is good because he is able to wire his laptop to it and connect just fine. Any insight into how to fix would be greatly appreciated. TIA...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

Have you tried to delete and reinstall the NIC in the Device Manager? Delete, boot and install when prompted.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Animas Computer Services

Animas Computer Services
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:08 PM

I'm suppose to go back Tuesday to possibly re-install Windows. I'll give this a shot first.

#4 Animas Computer Services

Animas Computer Services
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

Well, deleting the NIC and rebooting didn't do it so we ran the Sony re-install and everything is now working regarding his internet connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users