Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can any HDMI monitor be used to directly watch HD Sat TV?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

My DirecTV HD satellite box has an HDMI outlet which apparently can be connected to a HDMI equipped monitor. The questions I have are:

1. Will this work with any hdmi monitor?

2. Is there some sort of standard the tv has to comply with? I recall reading about some 4 letter acronym that was required.

3. Is there a certain hdmi cable standard that is required?

I'm asking because I'm looking to buy a new monitor and if it can also serve as a part time Sat TV it would really come in handy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

A simple answer is that the Monitor would have to support TV HDMI standards, 480P, or 720P, or 1080I, or 1080P, not just HDMI.

That four letter acronym wouldn't happen to be HDCP would it?

Why not reverse your question and do what I did. Get a real HDTV that can also be used with a computer. Then you know it will work for both.

I have one Display, a 32" HDTV that is used for TV, Satellite TV, Computer, Media player, BluRay player and with my DVD recorder.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Yes, it was HDCP! Thanks.

The problem is that I seldom see this standard mentioned in the specs for monitors. Which makes me wonder if (as an ehow.com article mentioned) you just need an hdmi enabled monitor.

The monitor would serve as either a monitor or as a TV for a 2nd sat receiver located in a bedroom....to possibly replace an analog TV.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

As a general rule, yes, an HDMI monitor can be used with an HD cable/satellite box. Now the picture may not be perfect due to the native resolution of the monitor, but it should display a picture.

HDCP- If it(monitor) has an HDMI input, then it is HDCP compliant. The only time where HDCP compliancy was in question was with DVI inputs.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

As a general rule, yes, an HDMI monitor can be used with an HD cable/satellite box. Now the picture may not be perfect due to the native resolution of the monitor, but it should display a picture.

HDCP- If it(monitor) has an HDMI input, then it is HDCP compliant. The only time where HDCP compliancy was in question was with DVI inputs.

Thanks.

When you say 'not perfect due to the native resolution of the monitor' does that imply that buying a monitor with a particular native resolution would assure a quality high def picture?

Is there a way to tell the native resolution of a monitor?

Obviously, I've never bought a flat screen monitor before...this is new to me but when I buy one I'd like for it to have multiple uses (monitor and HDTV) as long as the price for the capability isn't too much extra.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

HI,
From here.

Common high-definition video modes
Video mode Frame size in pixels (W×H) Pixels per image1 Scanning type Frame rate (Hz)
720p 1,280×720 921,600 Progressive 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60, 72
1080i 1,920×1,080 2,073,600 Interlaced 25 (50 fields/s), 29.97 (59.94 fields/s), 30 (60 fields/s)
1080p 1,920×1,080 2,073,600 Progressive 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60, 120, 240

These are what your DirecTV box is expecting what it will work with. The only way to guarantee it will work 100% is to buy a HDTV that also has a computer input as well as HDMI.

Buying a TV will also give you speakers for the sound that is carried on the HDMI cable, Otherwise you will have to run wires from the DirecTV box to powered speakers.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 21 December 2012 - 11:28 AM.
Spelling

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users