Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run Malwarebytes from a flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

I tried to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on a flash drive to be able to run it on another computer but I get an error message. It appears that the data file containing the list of possible infections was installed on my C: drive. Is it possible to run this program on another computer from a flash drive? The error I receive is 'Run time error 13...Type mismatch'.

Edited by hamluis, 14 March 2016 - 11:30 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

mbam-setup.exe. is executable. this is used to install Malwarebytes on your hdd, so no, you will not be able to run Malwarebytes from the flashdrive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Thank you for your response. Do you know of any way to detect or remove infections from an external device. The computer with the problem is not even able to run IE9 and get onto the internet nor is it able to run many of it's local programs. It would be disappointing if I had to re-format the C: drive and re-install Windows.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

You could install Malwarebytes from the flash drive and then run the scan from that computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Thanks. I transferred Malwarebytes but it doesn't run. Almost nothing runs except the task manager.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

I tried to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on a flash drive to be able to run it on another computer but I get an error message. The error I receive is 'Run time error 13...Type mismatch'.

This is a little confusing, let me see if I have this right... It sounds like you have two computers and one flash drive. One of these computers is the one you are trying to repair, the other has the mbam-setup.exe on it and when you try to send this to the flash drive you get the error message?

#7 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

I transferred the program from the flash drive onto the non-working computer. It wouldn't run just like everything else. A decision was made by the owner to re-install Windows since there was very little to be lost by doing so. Thanks for your response.

Edited by richierein, 20 December 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Nearest answer I can find @ MBAM FAQ area -
Please download and install the Microsoft Visual Basic Common Controls from Here to see if it helps.

EDITED to add >>
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138 < < Link to MBAM FAQ area -
Malwarebytes Chaleleon will run on an infected computer -

Edited by noknojon, 20 December 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#9 HipGnosis

HipGnosis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

I've seen this question before and want to give a clear answer (for others that find this via an internet search engine).

You can put the MBAM setup.exe (installer) on a flash drive.

You also need to copy two files for the updates to run it on a PC w/o internet access.

Install & run MBAM on a computer that has internet.  Update MBAM

Copy 'rules.ref'  from  C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\

Copy 'database.conf' from  C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Configuration\

Pro-tip; I also make a shortcut to these two folders on the flash drive.

Install MBAM from the flash drive on the 'infected' PC.

Copy / paste the two files into their appropriate folders.

Run MBAM

Note:  this is for Windows 7

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=6109&view=findpost&p=26580

You have dragged up an old topic, but this is the reply from Malwarebytes - See above for full answer -

You can copy it to USB to use for installing or even install it to the USB drive but it is not stand alone, meaning it will not run if you just plug the USB into another computer and will quit working on the computer you installed on if you remove the USB drive.
It is not a portable application.

#11 themantis

themantis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

In order to have malwarebytes to work in win7, you need to add the one of its folder located in C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes (**it's a hidden folder).. then add the folder onto the .wim file.

steps:

1. Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\test\images\myimage.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\test\

then browse to the location of the mounted .wim dir and past the " C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes" folder into your .wim ProgramData folder

2. Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\test\ /commit

3. done.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:46 PM

You were replied to in this topic.

Again, since this topic is 4 years old it would be better to start a new topic of your own if you have further questions, comments or need assistance.

Thanks,
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users