Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook - BSoD 10+ times/day

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 That Guy in Maine

That Guy in Maine

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Alright, I bought a new Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook from Best Buy online back in very late August for college use. I wanted something with new tech so that in four years it would still be decent, so I picked this laptop. Well unfortunately about 2 weeks ago it started having issues, major issues.

It started one day by crashing, displaying a BSoD and restarting. I thought nothing of it as I've had it happen a few times before on other laptops, but about an hour later it happened again, and again...and again.

Its probablly happened like 60 or 70 times now in the last 2 weeks, sometimes when I use my laptop a lot it will do it 10+ times in a day. Luckily it didn't start until finals week where I didn't need my laptop, but now that I'm home I want this solved, I can't have this happening when I go back to school.

The BSoD refers to iastor.sys as the error, and I can get the other codes in a minute, but I'm trying to type this quickly in fear of the computer crashing again.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

EDIT : I've contacted Dell twice now, the first time the tech was very unhelpful and lied about calling me back the next day to check if his "fix" worked (it didn't, I got another BSoD 5 minutes after the call ended).

The second time the guy was helpful, he deleted the driver and uninstalled an Intel program, but unfortunately when he told me to restart the computer it wouldn't boot (thanks Dell!). I have a box here to ship the computer in (got it 2 days ago), but really don't want to if I don't have to, I use this computer for photo/video editing on the go and need it for the next month to finish up some projects, I can't be without it for two weeks as the only other computer available to me is a terrible desktop that's on its way out.

EDIT 2 : Blue Screen viewer file :

==================================================
Dump File : 122012-18860-01.dmp
Crash Time : 12/20/2012 12:29:55 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000007e
Parameter 1 : ffffffff`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff880`0105f768
Parameter 3 : fffff880`039e9798
Parameter 4 : fffff880`039e8ff0
Caused By Driver : iaStor.sys
Caused By Address : iaStor.sys+7dbc8
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : iaStor.sys+49768
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\122012-18860-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 288,560
==================================================

Edited by That Guy in Maine, 20 December 2012 - 01:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Download and run WhoCrashed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 That Guy in Maine

That Guy in Maine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

I've done this, it points to the Intel Rapid Storage Driver, I've downloaded and installed the driver and it still happens.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Is RAID enabled in the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 That Guy in Maine

That Guy in Maine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

How would I tell/change it?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

<<I bought a new Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook,,,>>

Sounds like time to exercise that warranty...before it expires. IMO, once it expires, that's the time to try "home remedies", especially in light of the fact that Dell seems to think that you should return it.

Louis

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Sounds like time to exercise that warranty...before it expires. IMO, once it expires, that's the time to try "home remedies", especially in light of the fact that Dell seems to think that you should return it.
Louis

Ditto

Regards,
Brooks

#8 That Guy in Maine

That Guy in Maine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

They sent me the box after their tech made it not boot. I restored it and it boots and works again until it randomly BSoDs. It would be a major inconvenience to not have this computer for two weeks, and lose all my files. I have the warranty for awhile, I would like to try some fixes if anybody has suggestions...

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hello

If you will complete the data collection below and upload, then we will analyze the reports and dump files.

Please follow this link: BSOD Posting Instructions Windows 8 - Windows 7 - Vista.
  • Follow all instructions with the exception of:
    • Creating a new thread HERE and attach the file(s) after step 4
  • Note: Both files of Step 1 need to be in the Documents folder.
Upload the zipped folder to a File Sharing website of your choosing because Bleeping Computer has a 512 K only upload limit and this file will be much larger.
In addition:

To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)
  • Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot. Click "Yes" to proceed.
  • Click, Copy to Clipboard and paste this address into your next post.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

From what I've been able to find this error happens when you are missing the raid driver, specifically it refers to the Intel matrix storage manager driver file.

In order to load the driver for this RAID has to be enabled in the BIOS.

How would I tell/change it?

Enter System Setup. (Press F2 at start to access System Setup)

To navigate in the BIOS you will use the up/down and left/right keys, use the Enter key to make choices. As you navigate in the BIOS the areas that you are in will be highlighted.

Once the BIOS is open highlight Drives, press Enter.

Highlight SATA Operation, press Enter.

Highlight RAID ON, press Enter.

Highlight Save/Exit, press Enter and resume the boot process.

There is one possible complication, the XPS14 originally came with the traditional BIOS, but with a firmware update for A09 and A11 it gives you the option of the traditional BIOS UEFI which will eventually replace the BIOS. If you haven't updated your BIOS you shouldn't have a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users