Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Registry Problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:29 PM

Anyone know how to boot into windows when you get this (regardless if you try safe mode, last known good configuration or normal mode) as a BSOD

STOP: c0000218 {REgistery File Failure}
The registery cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SAM
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable

Besgnning dump of physical memory
Dumping phuscial memory to disk: ##

For way more details, please refer to my blog. (in my sig)

Edited by yano, 25 March 2006 - 11:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:08 AM

Yano this may help. I am providing the link so that proper credit is given...

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.p...0a1ccb6d1681b73
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:51 AM

SAM is the Security Accounts Manager.

This could be bad. I have made attempts to recover a lost registry hive and haven't always been successful. There's a Kelly's Korner fix for registry hives, but I don't know if it will work in this case. I used one from another site in the past but I haven't been able to locate it. This involves starting XP's Repair Console and replacing the hives from the hidden XP Repair folder. Then your computer will start like it did when you booted it the first time. Once started, you have to get into the locked system restore folders using a trick, and copy a restore point that's not today's. Then you go back into the repair console again and put that restore point in and your system should restore to what it was. Quite difficult.

Alternately, you could put the hard drive into another computer, copy all the data from it onto another drive (But you have a LOT of data!), and put it back into your machine and re-install Windows. Remember to switch jumpers from Master to Slave and back if you don't have a SATA drive.

If you have a large thumb drive, you might be able to move some of the stuff using The Ultimate Boot CD, but if your ISO's are too large, that would not be practical.

Have you tried hitting F8 right after the beep and selecting "Last Known Good Configuration?"

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:20 AM

Alternately, you could put the hard drive into another computer, copy all the data from it onto another drive (But you have a LOT of data!), and put it back into your machine and re-install Windows. Remember to switch jumpers from Master to Slave and back if you don't have a SATA drive.

How would that work? Isn't the registry problems on the hard drive?

Also would doing a "repair installation?" work? Would I loose my data if I did one?

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:41 AM

Not to crash this party, but rather to try and give you a quick response:

How would that work? Isn't the registry problems on the hard drive?

I think the 'data' he is referring to is your Word Documents, your photographs, etc. Not Windows files (which would contain the registry).

Also would doing a "repair installation?" work? Would I loose my data if I did one?

Theoretically a 'repair' installation would not affect your data. However, it is never a bad idea to do a backup before taking such a measure.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

If you have a Windows System Restore date from before your problem started - use it.

You have to also consider what caused the registry to become corrupted.
Have you used a registry cleaner or a program that makes changes to the registry recently (like just before this problem started?)

If you have, most of then do a backup of your registry that you can revert to, or if you have ever saved a registry backup - revert to it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 March 2006 - 11:57 AM.

#7 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:50 PM

There's a Microsoft article about this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us. If you decide to follow the resolution, you must copy exactly as indicated.
phantazy

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

See that's the thing. I don't know what exactly caused it. Originally (as stated in my blog) my profile on windows got corrupted. And I moved my data to a new folder (everything). C:\backup

That way if I had to delete my user account my data would not have been lossed. However, while I was overclocking my computer things went from bad to worse and my registry is now in it's current state.

I have registry programs on my computer. But I haven't used them in a long time.

I think I'll do what phantazy suggested. '

I really hope I don't loose anything. :thumbsup:

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:46 PM

Ok I followed the directions up to step 2. I couldn't get into Safe Mode, it locks up everytime.

I'm into windows now. :thumbsup:

However, I can't do dittly squat. It can't find my internet (my network adapter), no programs work, (i can't get daemon tools to install because of several "microsoft installer errors,") I can't do anything.

I can access my data, but now I don't know how to get it to my brother's computer. It's way too much (135GB, cause I'd format my computer, if I can get my data off it).

I'll see what I can do tomorrow, I'm tired.

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:25 PM

Ok I got good news.

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. :thumbsup: jk

Anyways, my computer is weird. I installed my drivers (using the control panel / add remove hardware). However, in the network connections nothing is listed. So anyways, I was able to ping the router, and connect to my bro's computer.

Currently at my moment I'm copying my data over. Once done (probably in like 3 hours, lol) I'll reformat my computer. :flowers:

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

You can connect your computer to your brother's using a serial port (null modem).

Null Modem Cable:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/N/null_modem_cable.html

How to Configure a Direct Cable Connection with Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814982

How to set up a remote debug session using a null modem cable
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/151981

#12 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:06 AM

Ok, I got all of my data, (including the necessary ISOs). However, I forgot to copy over my brother's data. Anyone know of how I can recover his data?

My hardware teacher says, that she couldn't do it because of the software used and because it would have to be for school purposes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users