Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diagnosing Network Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

I need some assistance diagnosing a network issue I'm having with my home network over the past year. I am constantly having inconsistent bandwidth issues with my cable modem. Most of hte time my desktop holds a 20mbps upload speed 4mbps download, but it will also drop to 15 and 3 unexpecedly. My wireless connection issues are even more troubling and frustrating. Sometimes when I go to load a webpage I completely lose connection to the network. The best speeds I can get on my laptop is usually 12mpbs and 3mbps. The issue typically happens during the evening and I can see my speeds drop all the way down to 5mbps and 1 mbps.

I use Norton and have used Norton Power Eraser and found nothing. I've also ran Spybot, Walware Bytes, and ESET with no viruses. So I don't think it is a virus, spyware, or malware issue.

Here is my network:
Cablem modem -> Vonage Router (not wireless) -> D-Link Extreme wireless router
Motarola Surfboard SB5101 -> Motarola VT2442-VS -> DIR-655 (WEP passord runnin transmitting in 'n')

HELP!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

I don't really have an answer for you, but some thoughts to contemplate. You typically see issues in the evening. This could be caused by increased use of internet services near you. There is much documentation about cable modem speeds dropping during peak times. The 5/1 ratio you describe may be the minimum that your ISP guarantees you when there is heavy network traffic. You get more during the day when none of your neighbors are using internet. The 12/3 makes me ask you if you are using any wireless b devices on your network? If you are you might be dropping your n network down to 11Mbps

Hope that helps a little
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

Your overall bandwidth will decrease as more users in your neighborhood on(in the evening) cable is shared bandwidth meaning you split the total bandwidth allocated to your local switch with everyone in your district. The more people on the smaller piece of the pie you get (unless you have business class).Your wireless is being choked by your encryption full 802.11.n speeds are only achieved with WPA2 AES encryption. If you have older devices "802.11 B/G devices can drop the connection by as much as 80%" your connection will be liited by the slowest device connected at the time of the test.

Credit: Smallnetbuilder.com For the numbers and reference

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 December 2012 - 02:33 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users