Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm looking for Laptop for Blender

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I'm sifting through page after page on Newegg, looking for laptops and realize that I don't know enough about them to make a choice. can someone help me out?

I hope someone can decipher this. I know almost nothing about any of this. Hope I'm using the proper terms.

I would like to buy a gaming laptop, not to play games, but to build them with Blender, or UDK, (Unreal Development Kit) mostly Blender. Also I would like to make videos with Blender. And do some HD video editing with Vegas.

So . . . I found this on Yahoo answers, while researching . . .
"Integrated graphics rely on not only your computers system memory, but the systems processor resources as well. By having a dedicated graphics card you not only free up ram, but you free up your CPU as well. The dedicated card has its own processor, the GPU. You take so much stress off of your CPU by having a GPU,"

Is this true? What type of dedicated Graphics card should I be looking for?

I'm thinking about going with an Nvidia, because it supports Cuda, and plays nice with Blender. Must also support GLSL, & OpenGL. (No idea what they do LOL)

How can I tell if a GPU is dedicated, or on-board? I have heard that Blender is better with a dedicated GPU. I don't see where Newegg mentions it. Blender is also better with Nvidia, ATI, than Intel, so an intel GPU is out.

I would also like to find a laptop that has the DVR capabilities. I read in a PC mag that some Windows 7 PCs can record video. Does anyone have a PC with a built in DVR? how well does it work?

If I understand correctly, (I don't understand anything LOL) Blender Game Engine, won't make use of multi-core processors. So, would a faster/bigger processor say 3.40 Ghz be better than a 2.40 Ghz, for Blender? since Blender GE doesn't make use of multi core. for rendering it will, but for say "anything that requires occlusion processing, that part will only make use of a single thread".

Should I stay away from the refurbished laptops? or do you think they might be OK?

I was told a desktop would be better than a laptop for me. But I can't sit a computer desk more than 20 minutes, before my back starts pounding. The pain is crippling.
With a laptop, I can find a reasonably comfortable position on my couch, and change positions regularly, so I can work longer on the laptop.

I'm not worried so much about battery life, or size. The laptop will be plugged in most of the time. I rarely travel. So the bigger the monitor, the better.

So, what laptop am I looking for?

What laptop brands do you guys prefer for reliability, and customer service?

Is it even possible to find a laptop for under $2000 that will work for me? Windows, not Mac.

Any help at all is appreciated.
I hope someone can help me out.

Peace
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Yes it is true about the onboard graphics. Usually if it's onboard it would be using the Intel graphics like the HD3/4xxx. It would depends on the cores and the architecture of the CPU itself to determine how fast it is. Considering you have a flexible budget there will be no need to look for a refurbished laptop. Finding a laptop for your use isn't going to be to difficult.

ASUS G75VW-DS73-3D - This basically a gaming laptop but considering how that Blender program would take advanatage of CUDA and some of the other graphics features then a powerful GPU would benefit along with a i7 processor and plenty of ram to work with. The screen size should provide plenty of room to work in and plenty of storage. Alternatively, if you don't mind using Windows 8 then this Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7390 would give you more for your money.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks Killer for your time, info, and the quick reply. Both machines are awesome. :)

My wife thinks they're overkill. LOL :) Is it? Do you guys think I might be over-spending?

Right now I'm working with a Mac-book core Duo, 2.16 Ghz, with an intel GPU chip-set GMA 950. 1 GB 667 Mhz DDR SDRAM. It doesn't get the job done. It won't open or play some Blender games, like "Dead Cyborg"
GLSL, shadows, light etc. won't work on Blender games I made. Frame rates are low. So I need something that will work.

Thanks again.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

According to this, the hardware requirements for producing a game(Production-standard) requires quite a lot which is quite surprising to me as i rarely see a program demanding that much especially the amount ram and that very specific resolution needed.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

That's the beauty of Blender, It can run on any machine, you just can't do much with it on a lower end machine. But you can learn the basics. Lots more to learn though.

I like the Toshiba. I'm not a big fan of Windows 8, but I'll get used to it.
The Asus can run CryEngine 3 SDK. ( Windows 7) Another piece of software I would like to learn. I'm reasonably sure CryEngine will come out with a Windows 8 version.
Decisions, decisions. :)

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. You have been most helpful.
I now have a general idea of what to look for.
:)

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

CryEngine 3 is going to be a tough one on the graphics card but it will interesting to see on how the quality of the game looks.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users