Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezes, Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Emphyzema

Emphyzema

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Mod Edit: Split topic, original post in AII, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic477823.html/page__st__15__gopid__2926122#entry2926122 - Hamluis

Put memtest on a cd and it has run fine. Did a full scan and found no problems. There was some problem with updating though. When i went to shut down my comp would run updates (something like 90) and when i tried to turn my comp back on it would configure them but never get past saying 0% and would skip it after a few minutes. Even though i updated it still said i had updates to download when shutting down

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2012 - 08:25 AM.
Merged topics, PM sent OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Emphyzema

Emphyzema
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Also, just turned my computer on after successfully downloading all 90 of the updates, it went to 100% upon powering on. Don't know if that changes anything of if it's useful at all

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

updates appear to installed now, still blue screening?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 12 December 2012 - 08:32 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Emphyzema

Emphyzema
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Yes. The updates didnt actually complete the correct way and still try everytime i shutdown

#5 Emphyzema

Emphyzema
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'm not sure if they even updated correctly, I still get blue screen/freezing. Right now the start menu doesn't show a need to install updates upon powering down though.

Edited by Emphyzema, 12 December 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#6 Emphyzema

Emphyzema
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Have finished all the updates, did a full wipe and re install of windows. Redownloaded all the drivers to make sure that I didn't make a mistake on that and tried to be more meticulous about it. I still get a freeze at least every hour. Doesn't seem to be a pattern for when it does freeze, but now the programs all stop working and go all white like they are crashing. If i try to wait it out my monitors go all black but I can still see and move my mouse.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Something Hardware wise is crashing. You ran memtest and that completed with no errors. When your in safe mode the computer still crashes correct?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 13 December 2012 - 10:44 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 Emphyzema

Emphyzema
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Yes

#9 Emphyzema

Emphyzema
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

I found out earlier that I should have a problem with the hardware within my computer that is the culprit of the crashing. I will be running programs, I don't experience a slowed rate from before it was crashing, but out of nowhere my computer will stop responding, blue screen, then crash and attempt to restart. Upon restarting it will prompt me to insert a boot disk or proper boot drive. I have to manually power down my computer and restart again for it to work correctly. If someone could help me find this issue and if possible attempt to fix it, that would be amazing.

Thanks

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

Your last thread is still active but to continue on testing the bluescreen/freezing problem, check the hardware temperature, if possible try reapplying thermal paste for the processor and alternately use one or pair of sticks or RAM to cross reference with the Memtest result since the problem is somehow evident every 30 min. to 1 hour. Run a Windows or DOS mode diagnostic test for the hard drive by looking up to the manufacturing support site. Check the minidumps for bluescreen report in C:\Windows\minidump if they are being generated and look for the recent BS date.

Tekken

#11 Alex-C

Alex-C

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

I found out earlier that I should have a problem with the hardware within my computer that is the culprit of the crashing. I will be running programs, I don't experience a slowed rate from before it was crashing, but out of nowhere my computer will stop responding, blue screen, then crash and attempt to restart. Upon restarting it will prompt me to insert a boot disk or proper boot drive. I have to manually power down my computer and restart again for it to work correctly. If someone could help me find this issue and if possible attempt to fix it, that would be amazing.

Thanks

Seems like a HDD problem. You can burn MHDD (or HDAT2) to a CD and run a search for bad sectors.

#12 Emphyzema

Emphyzema
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Sorry, haven't been able to reply soon had finals. But I ran MHDD and did a scan on my 2 harddrives. One had a lot more delays on it, like 100 or so >15ms and even more >10ms. Is this an indication of a failing drive?

#13 Alex-C

Alex-C

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Sorry, haven't been able to reply soon had finals. But I ran MHDD and did a scan on my 2 harddrives. One had a lot more delays on it, like 100 or so >15ms and even more >10ms. Is this an indication of a failing drive?

Yes, it can be an indication of a failing drive. Did the scan found bad sectors?
Also check the S.M.A.R.T, Crystaldiskinfo is a nice tool to do it, here´s a portable version: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/crystaldiskinfo_portable

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Sorry for the delay, I have gotten a bit busy. I have asked another advisor to possibly take a look and see if they can offer some help. I will help as much as I can when I am able too. :busy:

Chad Mockensturm 

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

In an attempt to provide some basic data...please do the following.

Download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users