Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Crimes Complaint Center Virus (or FBI Moneypak Virus)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mikkel8

Mikkel8

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

My Vostro 1500 laptop (Windows XP) has been infected with that virus, and I don't know exactly what to do. Most of the tutorial videos on YouTube about getting rid of the virus are for Windows 7 and don't help at all. I have been able to go into safemode, but have found no good instruction on what to do next. The other thing is, I seem to have the splash screen that is a bit different than others I have seen on-line. It reads in part,"Threat of Prosecution Reminder". How do I disable and delete the virus?

Thank you so much in advance...

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 December 2012 - 12:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mikkel8

Mikkel8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

I suppose I will just try and follow the guide 'Remove the FBI MoneyPak Ransomware or the Reveton Trojan'. The splash screen for the virus looks a bit different than seen in the guide, which is why I am a bit hesitant, but it will hopefully still work..?

#3 Mikkel8

Mikkel8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Well, I tried Safemode with networking... and I am unable to find a way to get on-line, si I am unable to download the Emsisoft package... Any ideas, please?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Can you copy it to a Flash drive off another PC and run it?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Mikkel8

Mikkel8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Can you copy it to a Flash drive off another PC and run it?

Thank you for that (couldnt think at the moment). I did so, and Ive come to a problem (if it is anyway. I downloaded it, unzipped, started the Emsisoft, but when it asked to update it and I said yes, it said it wasn't able to connect to the internet... which I knew in the first place. Is it okay to run everything without being able to update it? Thanks so much for your input.

Edited by Mikkel8, 20 December 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#6 Mikkel8

Mikkel8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

BLEEPING computer is right. So I updated the Emsisoft on a clean computer with access to internet, copied it to the infected computer in safemode and all was going well. It took the computer (with an external hard drive hooked up to it) well over an hour finish going through the scan. It showed the many trojans and what not and when it ended, I clicked quarantine, just as your web-site's guide said to. I then restarted the computer, logged in and.... the Moneypak virus was still there. So I decide to do it again in safemode without the external hard drive and go into safemode..... a minute into the whole mess, the virus pops up in safemode!!! I'm sure I have no other options than to take it in to a professional. Thanks again for your the help, I guess its all hit and miss for people such as myself.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Actually we can still clean this, But we need a new topic here. Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Include this linkl back to here,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic479062.html/page__pid__2926532#entry2926532
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users