Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Then Dark Screen

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hello,

Yesterday morning I was on the computer and had no problems. I logged off the Internet but left the computer running.

( Dell PC, Home XP, IE-8 SP-3 )

When I came home yesterday evening the monitor screen was black as usual and I tried clicking the mouse and nothing happened. I could not get the screen to light up nor could I see the cursor arrow.

I turned the power off and then back on,as it was it powering up all I had was a black screen. After about 3-4 minutes the Dell logo appeared although very dim. Within a few seconds it disappeared.

Black screen again.

A few minutes later the windows logo appeared, but disappeared a few seconds later also.

Black screen

Several more minutes went by and the windows logo appeared and said it was loading windows. ( very dim) it also disappeared within seconds.

Black screen again.

Several more minutes passed and the user names showed up. I clicked on my user name and it started to load my settings. Black screen again.

This process took about 2 minutes.

All the normal icons next to the time in my tray are missing. I do have all the normal icons on my desktop. Everything is VERY dim. I have a background on the screen is very dim and everything has very very little color. Things are very hard to see.

I am able to connect to the Internet.

I tried system restore with no luck. I tried starting in safe mode thinking I would give the last good configuration a try. I was able to get to safe mode using the F-8 method, but the up and down arrows will not work so I had to press enter and start in normal mode.

Total time from power up to my being able to connect was about 15 minutes.

At first I thought that perhaps my monitor was shot but due to the start up problems I think I have something else going on here.

I ran full scans with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security and they came up clean.

Any ideas ?

Lastly, at this point the screen is not black but is a very , very pale blue. the the colors I see are very dim.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Take Care,

Dennis

Edited by bloopie, 23 December 2012 - 08:03 PM.
Re-moved to AII forum by request. ~bloopie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

have you tried a different monitor and/or video card by any chance?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

have you tried a different monitor and/or video card by any chance?

Thanks for the reply !

I don't have another monitor.

Here is what I am thinking and believe me when I say I know almost nothing about computers, is that there is something going on other than the monitor.

The reason i say that is why would my computer start acting so quirky all of a sudden ?? I am referring to the crazy way it starts up. Could a faulty monitor cause that ?

Prior to yesterday it was just fine. It was quick and running well. No trouble at all.

Thanks again for the help.

Dennis

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

i would lean towards faulty hardware myself such as video card-a monitor is just a quick elimination check

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a new video card but I can go buy one. Perhaps I can borrow someone's monitor and see if that works out.

So if I am getting this right, you don't think that malware etc; is causing the problem ?

Thanks,

Dennis

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

malware is definetly a possibility, or perhaps in addition to. Not my area of expertise, it sounds like its not getting full signal to a monitor. I wouldnt waste a lot of money on a graphics card-if your friend has one you can borrow to try, then I would try that. If you have to order one of those cheepies off newegg with a good return policy, because it may not be the video card.

picard5.jpg

#7 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I was able to get to safe mode using the F-8 method, but the up and down arrows will not work so I had to press enter and start in normal mode.

Were you able to get all the way in to safe mode, or just to the menu screen and then stopped there because of the arrow key issue?

Is your keyboard USB or PS2? You may need to enable legacy support in the Bios for the keyboard to work.

Regardless, Malware in my experience won't cause the issues that you are describing. It sounds more like a Monitor/Graphics card issue. If possible, boot the system up and then load a game or video and keep the sound on. If it's the video card, your system will likely shutdown or freeze. If it's the monitor, you should still be able to hear sound. I'd start by testing a different monitor first. Also, are you using an after market video card or one that came with the system?

#8 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. My monitor got so bad I could not read your replies.

I don't know why but I finally thought of plugging my monitor into the back of my lap top to see if it worked. No luck.

I now have a new monitor.

My keyboard gave out about a week ago, I bought a USB keyboard. All I have done is plug in the USB.

When I booted to safe mode all I got was the menu. I tried to use the arrow keys to move up to boot to the safe mode start, it did not work so I had to boot in the normal mode.

The print screen tab does not work either.

Apparently there is something else I should do to get things working correctly between the keyboard and computer ?

Thanks for your time and help !

Dennis

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

is the new monitor giving you a clear picture at lesat? if so we can eliminate that problem and look for another.

picard5.jpg

#10 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

Yes, the monitor is fine.

#11 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Udate, The ' print screen ' function is working.

I tested the up and down arrows by resstarting using the F-8 method. The arrows do not work.

As a side note, the reason I did not edit my last post with this information is because I can't. This had been a ongoing problem I have had with this web site for about 2 months.If I click on edit, quote, Emoticons nothing happens. This is the only site I have this trouble with.

I suppose this problem should be addressed in another forum. I just wanted to make you aware of it.

Thanks,

Dennis

#12 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

I unplugged the USB and plugged it back in. All the keys are now functioning. Hopefully they will continue to work.

Also, the emoticons and quote functions are working. The edit feature will not work. When I click on edit all I get is a notation in the bottom left of my tray that says error on page.

I know this has nothing to do with the keyboard as this problem has been going on for several months.

Dennis :)

#13 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Well I spoke to soon about the print screen key. It is not working.

When I press the key and than go to paint in order to past it I can't.

When I click on edit the paste option is grayed out.

I tried the central v method to paste it and that did not work either.

I than tried holding down the ALT key and pressed the print screen button. When I opened paint I got the same results as above. Nothing.

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

well, now that the dimness problem is fixed, I would suspect that you have a malware problem and Im going to see about getting this moved to the appropriate forum so you can receive better help with that.

picard5.jpg

#15 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

The print screen issue has been resolved.

I would like to mention that not only does the edit function not work but if I happen to post a screen shot and click on it to enlarge it, it will not enlarge. I get the same ' error on page' message.

Thanks for your help.

Happy Holidays !

Edited by bloopie, 23 December 2012 - 08:04 PM.
Re-moved to AII forum by request. ~bloopie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users