Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kylander

kylander

• Banned
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:35 PM

please tell me how to use system restore, i always lose documents! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:49 PM

Well system restore wont backup your documents. It is used to backup your registry and important system files.

To read more about it, you can read these two tutorials depending on your operating system:

Managing Windows Millenium System Restore

and

Windows XP System Restore Guide

#3 BioHazard

BioHazard

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2004 - 02:26 PM

i myself always kill the system restore toll because any virus hits you if you are unsure when you got hit your restore points are useless because anti virus programs cannot scan the restore backups. and if you have done any windows upgrades and restore to an older point you have to upgrade and patch windows again. it works well for people who seem to mess there systems up alot.. and its also helpful when you get a program on that wont keep its tentacles in its own space. if you want to do backups i suggest a cdr or dvdr. when i install windows and get all the programs i use on it and upgrade and patch it all up then i startup ghost and make images to burn to dvdr so if i ever have an issue i have a full blown backup to restore from.

for documents and files that you wish to have saved in a spot there are alot of programs that you can have 2 separate directories and have them synchronized. anything written in one directory will also copy it to the backup directory. that way you have a specific spot for everything you wish to keep safe.. then just burn em to cdr once a week or once a month. when i do any c++ work i always back all the code up each night. that way i have backups from the beginning. heck cdr media is so cheap now its worth it to save your own hide.

#4 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:31 PM

How do you loose your documents if you save them??....or do you save them? ha ha ha that could be ur problem silly boy ha ha jj. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users