Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How soon can I tell if my PSU is working?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but this is the first time I've ever built my own computer. I'm building it very slowly but even in step one I have questions.

I've put the psu into the case with no problems. Then I got curious to hear it running. I plugged its cord into the wall and into the rear of the unit...but got nothing, no sounds, no buzzing, nothing.

Is this typical? Or do they have to be connected to something for them to come alive.

Thanks.

ps, I don't have a multi-meter, well I do, but its lost somewhere.

The PSU:

Coolmax I-400 400W Power Supply

Make sure your PC system stays cool and operational with the Coolmax I-400 400W Power Supply. This effective PSU delivers 400W of power to support all your computing, gaming, and other PC applications. It comes with an 80mm low-noise cooling fan and a heatsink for enhanced thermal transfer and aerodynamics. Not only will this PSU provide power and sufficient airflow to your PC system, it also provides reliable protection against sudden electrical surges, over voltages, and short circuits. Just install this PSU to your motherboard and necessary components, and you're ready to go. For lasting PC performance, get the reliable Coolmax I-400 400W Power Supply.

What It Is And Why You Need It:

* 400W Wattage; delivers 400W of power to operate your PC system
* 80mm Low-noise cooling fan; efficiently keeps the PSU temperature at a safe level with minimal noise
* Heatsink; performs effective thermal transfer for faster and reliable cooling
* Voltage and short circuit protection; provides reliable protection from sudden electrical surges, over voltages, and short circuits
* 20+4-pin Connector; integrates the PSU to your PC system's motherboard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

There may be a switch in the back of the PSU with a - 0 on it. Make sure that switch is switched to the - position. I attached a picture of what it looks like.

Attached Files

#3 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

And typically power supplys wont turn on unless they are actually connected to a tester, or components. If you plug the psu in but the ends aren't plugged into a motherboard, disc drive, etc then it may not turn on.

#4 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Thanks. Yeah, I know about the switch.

Guess I'll have to wait until it gets further along to test it. It's brand new but I've read so many DOA stories about new parts I wanted to check asap.

#5 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Once I had things connected it fired up fine. Probably a self protection situation.

Not DOA.

#6 larrymoencurly

larrymoencurly

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

If the standby LED on the motherboard glows, you probably have OK +5Vstandby voltage.

If you ground the green wire on the 20-24 pin connector to either of the black wires next to it, then if a CD or DVD drive operates, it indicates the +12V and +5V rails are probably OK because those voltages have to be within 10% of nominal to run those drives. OTOH 12V fans will operate even down to 6V, so they're not the best test for the +12V rail. BTW those old CD drives with 2-3 pushbuttons to let you start and stop the CD are handy for this kind of testing.

I don't know how to test the +3.3V rail without a multimeter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users