Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitor won't work on 1 desktop but works on 2nd desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 intaki

intaki

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

Peace:
I have only 1 monitor(Dell). Sometimes when I activate a computer, the monitor has a faded blue tint but I can read everything. If I jiggle or move the cord around, the blue tint goes away. On computer #1 the monitor doesn't come on at all. This is the first time the monitor didn't work on this computer. The monitor is now connected to computer #2 and is working. I would appreciate ANY help with this problem. Aki

Edited by hamluis, 19 December 2012 - 11:51 AM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Can you borrow a known working monitor to make sure that both desktops are functioning properly?

Inversely you can take your monitor to a friends house and see if it works on their computer.

If you are switching between computers be sure that you tighten the two screws on the VGA connector at the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

Peace:
I changed monitor power cords and it works. Now it won't go into standby mode. When I turn off computer, monitor light stays green and a floating panel of colors is on screen. The message is "Self Adjusting...) I tried to push the menu button but nothing happens. Also, it still won't work on other computer. aki

#4 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Peace:
It was the new monitor power cord.
This new cord was defective. When a monitor is powerer up, the self adjust screen floats. Attach the VGA cord to the monitor AND the computer--monitor goes into sleep mode--no floating panel. When monitor has power from wall AND from computer, it goes to sleep mode(orange light). Turn on computer, monitor has green light. Power MUST come from sleeping computer through VGA port to put monitor to sleep. If no power from a sleeping computer reaches monitor, the self-adjust screen floats and monitor light stays green. If you change cords and the green monitor light turns to orange, the other cord is defective. When computer is turned on, the monitor light will turn to green on a sleeping monitor and stay green on an awake monitor.
We know the port on computer is receiving power by this test. I'll wager that every desktop computer in the world (I don't know about all-in-ones)puts it's monitor to sleep by sending battery voltage through the port. This battery is the control.If a blue tint is on monitor screen when powered up, a connection is not tight. Just touching both VGA ports with the cords ports puts a monitor to sleep if the computer is asleep. Aki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users