Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Speeds Promised by ISPs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

So I'm with Time Warner now- Internet and TV. I have Turbo Internet which promises speeds of 20 Mb/s. Here's what I'm getting from my laptop via my wireless connection:

Posted Image

Here's from the desktop via ethernet cable to the router:

Posted Image

However, when I run it from Speakeasy(www.speakeasy.net/speedtest), I get this from the wireless laptop:

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 776 kbps (97 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1914 kbps (239.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

And this from the wired desktop:

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 2105 kbps (263.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1924 kbps (240.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Why such a large discrepency(upload speeds are similar but the download speeds are way way off)? Which is more accurate?

The reason I'm interested is I am thinking of moving to Uverse and their "fiber" backbone where I was promised speeds of 12 Mbps. I don't want to go slower if the top speeds are correct.

Any help or insight is much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

Click on and run Speed Test - Be sure to totally ignore all advertising on the site -
Please post back your results -

This is all I trust, and I always get 95% same results - Remember that many conditions may alter the readings (time of day, people on line, weather conditions, ETC)

#3 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Click on and run Speed Test - Be sure to totally ignore all advertising on the site -
Please post back your results -

This is all I trust, and I always get 95% same results - Remember that many conditions may alter the readings (time of day, people on line, weather conditions, ETC)

Can you not see the 2 images I posted at the top?

The first 2 tests I posted are from Speedtest.

My question is why there is such a huge discrepency between speedtest and speakeasy and others.

Edited by Bulldawg23, 19 December 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#4 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

Any other ideas?

I switched to Uverse and am switching back due to their poor speeds and lack of consistency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users