Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing nForce drivers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

After building a system with a second-hand EVGA 680i (with the nForce 6 chipset) and some other parts I installed Windows 7 and the nVidia drivers recommended by their website. Filling in the form led me to a file called "15.58-nforce-winvista-win7-64bit-international-whql", which I downloaded and ran. It seemed to install everything, and the system runs well enough, but when I check the system info it doesn't show all of the drivers as having been installed. Specifically, the SATA driver is not installed. Yes, the system has a SATA drive attached. There are no IDE drives in the system. Even the DVD is a SATA model. Yet the IDE driver IS installed... So, if this is the right driver package for this board, it should have installed both, shouldn't it? Or if it's not the right package, it should have given an error message and refused to install anything, right? So how did I get this weird partly installed situation? Should I run it again? Should I get something else from some other location?

Edited by Alchemist, 18 December 2012 - 06:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

Post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy << Follow These Directions

Edited by noknojon, 19 December 2012 - 04:28 AM.

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Well, Speccy running under Win7 thinks my brand new WD SATA HD does not support SMART monitoring. But when I boot something else, like Parted Magic from the Universal Boot CD (or is that Ultimate Boot CD now?) It can read the SMART data just fine and the drive is perfectly healthy.

Anyway, here is the snapshot to verify my hardware.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VIT28ONl34zTXdQJeK0GPyQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users