Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop icons suddenly look different and do not open program or funtion properly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DJJP

DJJP

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Hello... Not sure if I have changed settings or deleted something important pretaining to the functionality of desktop icons. I'm currently using a Windows XP operating system and upon trying to install the latest version of Yahoo Messenger that my laptop desktop icons were not functioning properly. I did go into my add and delete programs after the install to get rid of a couple of programs that I felt were imbedded in the Yahoo Messenger install. It was after the deletion of these two programs that I noticed a different look to my desktop icons and no funtionality upon tying to launch the associated programs. Interestingly enough, my internet explorer still works unlike my google chrome, itunes and many others. And when you try to launch the program it gives you options and ask if you would like to "open, save or cancel" under a file download - security warning. Then it gives the following message.

"Windows cannot open this file:

File: msgr10us.exe

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up atomatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.

What do you want to do?

Use the web service to find the appropriate program?
Select from a list?

Ok Cancel"

Upon trying any of the options it just takes me back to a screen where it states the following:

Open file - security warning
The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?

name
publisher
type
from

run Cancel

I did try to download some programs in the event that it is Malware or I've been hijacked but none of the programs I downloaded would open to perform a scan. So I'm not sure what has happened and if anyone can help me with how to get this resolved, I would be very greatful. This just happened today but I miss the functionality of my computer already. Thank you in advance and I will be waiting for any info that you can share with me related to my problem.

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Did you try system restore to some date before the issue happen?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users