Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For Anyone Who Has The Thin Small Version Of Playstation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

First I'd like to ask if anyone can look at there thin version ps2 and see if there "line port" or "telephone jack port" on the back of there system is the same as mine. Mine has only two metal slanted bars is yours the same? I thought telephone jacks had to have at least four of those metal slanted bars to pass the information correctly, but I could be wrong.
The reason I ask this is since I only have dial up internet I want to do some of the ps2 online gaming that they offer for dial up users.

Thanks

(Moderator edit: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 25 March 2006 - 09:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:25 PM

Yeah, i got 2 slanted metal strips in my phone jack as well. It is possible to play online through Ps2 on a dial-up connection, but good luck finding games that support Dial-up connectivity. A lot of games recently are "Broadband Only", meaning you need Cable or DSL to play on the servers.

#3 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:19 AM

Thats good to hear as far as the port goes as far as gaming online that 12.99 a month for dsl is look'n really good. There's only a handlefull of ps2 dial up games and there old games and can't really handle much of a online community with other dial upers.
I thought I heard of a way to get dsl for free? Unless I was dreaming

thanks

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

Yeah you prolly were dreaming but I can pay 30$CAD for my cable on the economy level and have never gottent lag issues playing on my xbox.

BTW I said I CAN pay 30$ because I actually pay 40$ to get the standard level since I run a TeamSpeak Server and do alot of heavy gaming needed the extra bandwitch.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:43 PM

ok basicly heres how phones work.

yeah we're all gonna feel stupid in the morning after this explaination.

A phone jack has 4 wires running through it (2 positive and 2 negative)
Therefore your can technically create 4 lines w/o having to add another phone box or other device to your house.

This is how 2nd and 3rd lines are added. This is also how DSL works if Im not mistaken.

Anyway the positive line carries a 5v current through it and when you pick up the phone or attempt to dial out via a modem the circuit is completed (hence the dial tone).

Posted Image

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Well I guess everyone who reads this will go to sleep tonight less stupid :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users