Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix Stuck At "Completed Stage_50"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 larholl

larholl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hi All,

I am in the process of repairing a clients Win7 Home Premium SP1 PC, initial complaint "PC hangs on windows boot screen". After confirming not boot I was able to boot to safe mode and reviewed the error logs. With nothing jumping out immediately as a problem I began to suspect malware and began a run of malwarebytes which hung halfway through requiring a hard reboot.

Following hard reboot it would now not boot at all. Running a pre-startup drive scan found a faulty data HDD, removed and was able to boot only to "last known good config". Once booted I noticed three separate AV's installed and removed the free versions and rebooted. PC still was chugging along and look at running processes revealed Bit Defender AV pegging CPU at 100% with nothing apparent running. Uninstalled Bit Defender and several apps that were clearly adware that had been installed.

After another reboot began a sweep with CCleaner for good measure an app popped up an installer that force installed "Free Ride Games". After several attempts was able to uninstall using Revo, however malware not clearly suspected. Thus I downloaded Combofix and began run. It has not been stuck at "Completed step_50" for about 2 hours. I can hear (and see) continue drive activity and I am unclear if i should simply let it continue or stop Combofix and try an alternate route pending input and instructs from the talented BleepingComputer Community/Folks?!

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2012 - 05:45 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 surfandfixit

surfandfixit

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

I would wait as you know stopping combofix can damage the machine more. if the HDD indicator is flashing its probobly still working its majic. I had one machine that hung for over an hour but never as long as two hours so that is slightly concerning. With all the issues you mentioned in your post i would probobly consider rebuilding the machine if combofix fails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users