Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp Pro will only start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Frustratedkmk

Frustratedkmk

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I have a Dell desktop that I brought home from work. I converted it to work on a home network and everything seemed fine. I have another dell working just fine. I uninstalled some programs including Symantec. Now I get a blue screen stating windows has been shut down to prevent damage. I booted up in safe mode to do a disk check restarted and still same blue screen. I have the original xp install disks. Any help would be welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

<<I uninstalled some programs including Symantec.>>

What programs? Did you use Add/Remove Programs?

What is the exact wording of the error message, please?

What model laptop?

How long did the laptop work properly at home?

Louis

#3 DaGoogler

DaGoogler

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Ok. We have the BSOD. That actually gives us some information, if we can pause long enough to see it.

The first thing I want you to do is see if you can get into Safe Mode.
In Safe Mode, go Start -> Run -> type sysdm.cpl -> hit enter (or click OK) -> Advanced tab -> Startup and Recovery Settings -> untick Automatically restart (under System failure) -> click OK (2x).
Then bootup again in Normal Mode. The BSOD should now stay on your screen.

Take down the stop code information and (if you're feelin froggy) google it. If you don't want to google it, post it here and I'll google it. Either way, someone is going to google it.

Then you have a clearer picture of what could be causing the error.

In safe mode, download Ccleaner and and run the disk cleaner and registry fix. After you remove a lot of programs, It could have caused an issue with the registry. That is pretty rare, though.

I would say 95% of the BSODs that I have seen have either been hardware or driver related, so it would not hurt to venture into those avenues.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

<<In safe mode, download Ccleaner and and run the disk cleaner and registry fix.>>

Bad suggestion to run the "registry fix"...and the default setting for Ccleaner seems to delete valued dump files.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Louis

#5 Frustratedkmk

Frustratedkmk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I did use the Add/remove windows feature to remove the programs. The Symantec program was endpoint. The Endpoint Protection had been disabled for some time at work since it created more problems than it solved. The computer was not used very much. The others were ones that had been added over the years but not in use. I do not recall the exact list but I was carful to only remove programs I knew, recognized and knew what they did. I did not remove any programs to which I had any doubts.

Prior to that I did a disk clean and defrag. Before it stopped working I did a Kapersky scan and it did find some errors. I could not print out the list. I shut the computer down for the night and was going to post in the virus removal forum but the I started getting the blue screen the next time I booted up. The computer and windows will start in safe mode. However, it will not start in safe mode with networking.

It is not a laptop it is a Dell desktop Precision 370. It ran for a little over a week. I set up a home network using a dlink 2000 router and a Motorola Surfboard extreme cable modem.

The error message is a blue screen the text is as follows” A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing the video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF78E3160, 0xF7945864, 0xF7945560)

*** kdcom.dll – address F78E3160 base at F78E2000, datestamp 4f8f0f42

Any ideas? Thanks.

#6 nameaka

nameaka

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Copy any important files from safe mode just in case.

Open BIOS to make CD-ROM first boot device.
Boot with the XP Install disc in the drive.
Press any key when prompted to boot from CD.
Press "Enter" at the Welcome and "F8" at the license agreement.

Highlight the drive containing Windows XP and press "R," repairing the system and overwriting the missing or faulty DLL files.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6786644_repair-dll-windows-xp.html

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

Doing a repair installation is definitely an option. Another would be to do a System Restore in Safe Mode.

Go to Start Start, click Help and Support, click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard. Pick a restore point prior to the problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

FWIW: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic439585.html .

Louis

#9 Frustratedkmk

Frustratedkmk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

I am trying the potential fixes in the topic suggested by hamluis. However the computer is now hanging when I boot into safe mode. I have all the dell drivers and xp disks and all of the important program disks. I am not concerened with the dta on the machine since I do regular back ups. Would it just be easier to wipre the drive and reinstall everything. If so I have never done that and would appreciate some guidance.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

If you have the installation disc for the operating system, the discs for the drivers, and aren't worried about losing your data a fresh installation would be the way to go.

As for guidance, Dell has a good tutorial for installing XP which is pretty straight forward, you can see it here. If you run across anything which you have questions about feel free to ask.:thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Frustratedkmk

Frustratedkmk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

I will give it a try, I did have a questiion. I have the Dell Precision Resource CD the Xp Installation CD but do not have the "Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD/DVD" as mentioned in the Dell guide. Is that something I can download onto a cd?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

I have the Dell Precision Resource CD the Xp Installation CD

This is the installation disc for XP, your operating system.

Do you have a disc for the drivers?

#13 Frustratedkmk

Frustratedkmk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

I do have the dell drivers and utilities disc.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

You should be good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users