Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HD on XP problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hello there. I recently bought a couple of Western Digital WD10EZEX hard drives for a computer with the ASUS K8N motherboard, socket 754 architecture. The problem? Most of the time, the computer will not even turn on. The screen won't even fire up. The only way it seems to work is to unplug the SATA cable from the drive for a second, then plug it back in. This make zero sense to me. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2012 - 05:01 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

That model motherboard...dates from 2005. That may be your problem. Or...it could be that your cables are loose, shot...the SATA cables from that era tended to loosen easily at times from the hard drive/motherboard connections...this can kill the hard drive.

Check your Event Viewer logs for input/output errors or any errors pointing to a drive.

Louis

#3 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

That model motherboard...dates from 2005. That may be your problem. Or...it could be that your cables are loose, shot...the SATA cables from that era tended to loosen easily at times from the hard drive/motherboard connections...this can kill the hard drive.

Check your Event Viewer logs for input/output errors or any errors pointing to a drive.

Louis

I have tried a number of different SATA cables - same result. You mentioned that the motherboard could be the problem... how so? I have never had problems like this with these. Are there jumper settings on the hard drives or the motherboard that can be changed?

Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

<<I have tried a number of different SATA cables - same result. You mentioned that the motherboard could be the problem... how so?>>

I admire your faith in the ability of motherboards to function perfectly forever...but the sad truth is that motherboards are subject to the same inconsistencies, defaults, and product deterioration...that any man-made object is subject to.

The fact that you stated that you disconnected the motherboard (not the PSU) cable to the drive...leads me away from the other suspect that I would have...the PSU.

The motherboard may be fine, it's just the logical candidate, IMO.

I'll move this to internal hardware, this is definitely not a Windows issue.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#5 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

I have another computer which has been operable for years... it's another ASUS K8N with the same hardware environment. I get the same thing happen when I try this hard drive in that machine. Are there any newly manufactured hard drives that are XP Pro compatible or K8N board compatible? I'm confused. Maybe I'm completely on the wrong track. :wacko:

Edited by Mr. Bitchen, 18 December 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Well, you know its not a Windows problem as it occurs before the OS loads. I think there is a timing incompatability between the SATA controller on the board and the drive. It doesn't initialize properly. Check for settings in BIOS regarding SATA settings. Check for any BIOS updates that address SATA compatibility.

Stuff like this shouldn't be a surprise.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but would BIOS configurations like 1T/2T Timing and MCT Timing be what I want? There's no description for either.

Thanks.

#8 mek8630

mek8630

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

There are usually a setting in your BIOS to be more compatible with certain HDDs. I'm not familiar with your board, so I don't know what your settings would be called, but I'm sure if you look, you'll be able to tell. Anyway, change that setting, and that should probably work for you...Oh and make sure your jumper on your HDD is in the right position...

Edited by mek8630, 21 December 2012 - 11:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users