Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix and McAfee Issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bella333

Bella333

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help because I do not know what else to do other than reinstall my OS. I am running Vista 64bit. McAfee was installed on my PC but I believed there was spyware or keylogger on my computer so I downloaded Malwarebytes from Cnet and installed it. I ran it and it found 6 spyware files all beginning with PUP. I ran the cleaner and they were gone. I noticed my McAfee kept disabling and read on another forum that these two are not compatible so I deleted Malwarebytes. McAfee continued to not work properly. I thought there may still be a virus that was not allowing my McAfee to run so I went on another forum (Tech Guy) and downloaded the ComboFix after disabling McAfee. When I downloaded I inadvertently saved it to the C: drive. Ran it again and saved to Desktop. Ran as instructed and got past where it was trying to create a Restore point. I panicked when I read "Only use if instructed by trained technician" so I ended it. I deleted the ComboFix icon from my Desktop but the there was a file called ComboFix in my C: drive. I could not run ComboFix /uninstall from the cmd as it kept saying ComboFix could not be found; however, it still showed in my C: drive. McAfee was still not running so I uninstalled it and tried reinstalling. It downloads, runs, installs but when finished is says "Install Incomplete". When I ran the McAfee technician tool it said "No McAfee found on this computer". I went to forums again and read that ComboFix will not harm the computer and the files in the C: drive can be deleted manually which I did and can no longer see them in the C: drive. However, I can not install McAfee. I called McAfee tech support and they ran McAfee Uninstall successfully, ran Preinstallation tool successfully, downloaded and attempted to install but again at the end of the installation it said "Installatin Incomplete". I can't help think that this all revolves around the ComboFix and my stupidy to run it without professional guidance. I am now waiting for a callback from McAfee as they have escalated this issue higher. On a side note, I did not tell them I attempted to run the ComboFix.

I am hoping someone can assist. I use my computer faithfully all day and not having Anti-virus or anti-spyware on it is frustrating as I am afraid to use it without this protection.

Thank you and looking forward to an easy fix. Is that asking too much:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Both programs MBAM and McAfee can run together 99% of the time
See This advice from MBAM if you think there is problems -

Your main problem stems from running ComboFix unsupervised - You did not read the directions given -

If you do have an infection that can not be removed Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting from step 6.
If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue. Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, and what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

Thank You -

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Extra to above -
Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in McAfee Total Protection 2011:

• Open McAfee and click on Navigation in the upper right hand corner.
  • Click on Firewall located under Features.
  • Click on Program Permissions and wait for the list to populate.
  • Click the Add button and then click browser.
  • Add the following files to the firewall with full access:

Note: On 64 bit Windows versions these files will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Click OK
Close the McAfee main window and restart your computer.

Set Exclusions for McAfee Total Protection 2011 in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee and click OK.
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on McAfee.com and click OK.
  • Click on the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files and click once on McAfee and click OK.
    Note: For 64 bit Windows versions these folders will be in C:\Program Files (x86)
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

#4 Bella333

Bella333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thank you for your assistance; however, I have just decided to do a clean install to Windows 7 as I am currently on Vista.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users