Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oem, Amd, Xp-home, Oh My

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lamarguitar

lamarguitar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:12 PM

First thing's first. I didn't follow my grandmother's advice - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Here's the deal: I purchased a nice computer over ebay at a remarkably low price. Of course, I received it and it had no support disks or documentation at all. However, the hardware is sweet and is as follows:

Jetway 939AGP-P Mainboard
CPU :AMD Athlon 64 3200 CPU, Socket 939
Memory :512MB DDR400 RAM PC3200 (x2)
Hard Drive :120GB Seagate SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
DVD: Sony 16x Black DVDRW +/- Drive
Video Card : eVGA Gefore 6600 w/256M Dual Head TV out Video Card
Case : Thermaltake Xaver V WinGo Series Aluminum Case With 550Watt Power Supply

It came with Windows xp home (in working order ) installed but no disks at all. I wanted a new OS with the disk in case of any crashes, data loss, etc.; so, I purchased an OEM version of Windows XP Home and installed it as an update.

Now the OS freezes at the activation screen. When I try to boot from the XP CD, it cannot detect the hard-drive. When I boot from the hard drive, it freezes at the activation prompt.

I'm thinking the OEM version ain't ever gonna work on an AMD, and that I will have to reformat the hard-drive and install a new clean version of XP. Any help getting this rig rolling with what I got would be appreciated.

BTW, I'm posting this with my PII450 Dell with XP Pro and a 16gb HD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

I the new XP disks you used. Did you use the COA taht came with it? I would do a clean install, and wipe not just format your drive. This will insure you don't have any virus' lingering.
My 2
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 lamarguitar

lamarguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

The disk has the holo but I bought it from an online distributor. I would think that booting from the cd at startup would give me the opportunity to wipe out the hard-disk and start over. there's no data on this computer at this point. However, windows does not detect my SATA drive when I boot from the cd. Any suggestions on that issue?

What would i use to "wipe" rather than reformat?

I've read elsewhere that xp has some notoriety for not recognizing SATA drives.

Thanks so much! :thumbsup:

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

I agree with Acklan, the OEM version of XP should install fine on this system from a clean start. You will need the motherboard chipset drivers for that Jetway mobo (plus drivers for any other onboard stuff) so start checking out the manufacturers website.

So the process is:
  • Wipe the hard drive clean. Look for a utility on the drive manufacturers website. Or see here.
  • Install XP Home OEM.
  • Install mobo drivers.
  • Reboot and look for any unknown devices in device manager.
  • Find and install drivers for those devices.
  • Install your applications, set up your internet, networking, printers etc.etc.
  • Activate Windows.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 25 March 2006 - 09:26 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 lamarguitar

lamarguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:40 PM

muchas gracias! I am concerned as windows xp doesnt' recognize that I have a hard drive when I boot it off a CD?! It isn't recognizing that I have a SATA drive; so, it goes no further in the installation process. Any thoughts as to the "i don't recognize your non-ide HDD" issue?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

There should be an option early in the install process to allow drivers to be install for componant tha need it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:24 PM

[b]You have to enable sata in the bios before booting with the Windows cd and possibly install the driver before Windows will install.

Windows will give you an opportunity to install proprietal drivers at the beginning of the installation.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:32 AM

Sounds like you need to check the Jetway site for SATA controller drivers for your mobo. I'm guessing here since I've never had any problems installing XP on SATAs (not done that many though).

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:07 AM

Sounds like you need to check the Jetway site for SATA controller drivers for your mobo. I'm guessing here since I've never had any problems installing XP on SATAs (not done that many though).

Nor have I, unless it is a RAID configuration, in which case you will need to hit your F6 key when prompted early in the installation, and then load the RAID driver when prompted a little later in the process.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:20 PM

What do you mean "installed it as an update"?

You may be able to use the recovery console to fix the mbr and the boot.ini which may allow it to boot back to the original installation.

There is no difference between an OEM legitimate installation CD and a retail CD except the OEM disk comes without Microsoft support (for exactly the type of problem you are experiencing now).

Look here for a manual for your motherboard:
http://www.jetway.com.tw

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 March 2006 - 12:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users