Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many problems on PC, mainly Windows Task Bar not working on start up.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DragonKnight

DragonKnight

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hey guys and girls this is the first time I have attempted posting on a site such as this and I really hope you can assist me. Over the past few months I have noticed that my computer seemed a bit slower than usual and I was also encountering quite a few glitches which I will list below.

•On some occasions when plugging a USB external hard drive in, my mouse pointer will disappear from the screen then when I try to unplug the mouse from the computer and plug it back in, my keyboard no longer responds. At this point I turn off my computer then restart it with the USB external hard drive plugged in already and it seems to work without any trouble.

•Sometimes task manager will not end the dr.watson.exe, drwtsn.32.exe or drwtsn.exe processes. When I try to end one, task manager will freeze and when I open another task manager window, it shows the pervious as not responding. I then try ending the task for the first task manager only to have the same thing happen again. Eventually I just end up turning the computer off via task manager’s shut down tab and restarting the computer. The computer then seems to load without trouble.

•Recently, at times, I have also been getting a “Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error” but I cannot recall what it said off hand. I did do some Google searches for it but the advice given conflicted at times, depending on the sites and the instructions seemed quite technical, some suggesting removing the plating for the tower and removing internal components which I am just not comfortable doing on my own.

•At times I cannot click on the start menu or task bar, only an hour glass is displayed. When trying to end explorer.exe to fix this, my whole desktop will disappear leaving only the background picture and when I open task manager and type explorer.exe into the “File-New Task (Run…)” field, nothing changes. I can do this repeatedly with no change so I shut down the computer with task manager and sometimes it works, other times the computer just stays on the “windows is shutting down screen” for hours, at which point I just turn the computer off on the tower.

•Yesterday after working on the computer for a few hours, My screen went to the background only, no task bar, desktop icons or anything else, just the backround picture and when pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del to try to bring up task manager, all I get is an hourglass where the mouse pointer is which lasts for about 1 second and then goes back to the normal arrow. This happened repeatedly until I turned the computer off. When I turned the computer back on it sounds a lot louder than usual and seems to be emitting a sort of grating sound at times. The hourglass remains on the task bar and start menu which have the left over blue, XP image from the "windows is loading your settings" page. Right clicking anywhere on the screen causes the computer to freeze. In addition to this after restarting I can no longer bring Task Manager up with Ctrl + Alt + Del or any method, outside of Safe Mode.

Since yesterday I have been unable to resume normal operations on my Computer and so am running in Safe Mode with Networking Enabled and signed in as Administrator, It still sounds strange in safe mode but tends to sound normal again every now and then. I have backed up most of my files but not all so would prefer not to have to format my hard drive if possible.

I should also add that about 1 year ago Malware Bytes found Rootkit Bubnix on my computer and tried to remove it. After scanning, it found it again but after updating Malware Bytes there has been no trace, though I think it could still be on the computer but I have found no way of locating it if it is.

My system Specs are as follows:

System:
•Microsoft Windows XP
•Professional*
•Version 2002
•Service Pack 3
*Note: I had to create a new OS with MSConfig a
while back as well as set it to boot from disc so it may be the Home edition not the Professional, not quite sure as it was a long time ago. When selecting my operating system I have 3 to choose from: Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home edition and Windows XP Profesional which I believe is the one I set up, hence the change in spelling.

Manufactured and supported by:
•Dell Inspiron 530S
•Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU
•E6750 @ 2.66GHz
•2.66GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM

I am presently Running The following antivirus and anti malware software:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version)
•Build Date 2012/09/30 07:54:25 AM

Spybot SD2
•Version 2.0.12.0
•Start Centre 2.0.12.126

Microsoft Security Essentials
•Antimalware Client Version: 4.1.522.0
•Engine Version: 1.1.9002.0
•Antivirus definition: 1.141.2000.0
•Antispyware definition: 1.141.2000.0

Threatfire
(Does not seem to load in safe mode
so unfortunately I cannot check
the version details.)
In the past I have tried:

•AVG antivirus
•Eset Nod 32 Antivirus
•Macafe Antivirus
•Norton 360 Antivirus

I use the website :http://safeweb.norton.com/ to check the sites I visit

I have included 2 screenshots of my processes and performance on Task Manager(in safe mode as I can no longer access Task Manager normally) which you may find helpful and can also include a short video clip of what the hard drive sounds like but it says the file is too large when attempting to do. I can e-mail it if you wish. I am still a novice when it comes to computers and would greatly appreciate any valid advice or assistance you can offer me in rectifying these problems. I guess I am looking for a way to locate any major problems on my Pc and to fix them.

Thank you for your time.

Attached Files

Edited by DragonKnight, 18 December 2012 - 01:23 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

You should only run active anti virus, running more than one can lead to unstable conditions and false positive findings.

I would suggest that you first determine if you are still infected. I will request that this topic be moved to the Am I Infected forum where they can make this determination.

If this isn't an infection this topic will be kicked back to this forum.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

To add to the above post, you should not even have more than one antivirus app INSTALLED. Choose the one you want and uninstall the other(s).

#4 DragonKnight

DragonKnight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hi Thank you both for your replies.

You should only run active anti virus, running more than one can lead to unstable conditions and false positive findings.

I would suggest that you first determine if you are still infected. I will request that this topic be moved to the Am I Infected forum where they can make this determination.

If this isn't an infection this topic will be kicked back to this forum.

I was under the impression that I do have only one Antivirus Active.
I currently have the following:

Antimalware = Malwabytes
Antispyware = Spybot Search & Destroy
Antivirus = Microsoft Security essentials with Threatfire as was recomended.

No others are presently running as far as I am aware.

How would I determine if I am still infected, I have run scans with both Malwabytes and Spybot Search & Destroy and have had no files reported except for Babylon toolbar which I can’t seem to get rid of. I am unable to scan with Security Essentials and Threatfire as they do not run correctly in safe mode, threatfire will not even start.

Thanks.

Edited by DragonKnight, 18 December 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

This topic is now in the Am I Infected forum. Please wait for a member of the Malware Removal Team to respond to this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 DragonKnight

DragonKnight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Ok Thank you, I will wait.

#7 DragonKnight

DragonKnight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Update:
I noticed that even though I had uninstalled Eset Nod 32 in the past, it was still located under start- Programs so I clicked to uninstall and restarted my computer, I decided I would attempt logging on normally one last time and was pleasantly surprised to find that It worked normally, the only error message that has come up since is: “is missing Critical components required to run. You will need to reinstall the application. If you continue to have problems please contact customer support.” This message has come up in the past even though I never installed XoftSpySE as far as I am aware. The Computer sounds fine now as well, I have been able to Update Malwarebytes, SpybotSD2, Security Essentials and Threatfire.

Could uninstalling that remnant of Eset Nod 32 really have fixed all the problems I was having at start up. Is there any order one should scan in, I usually do Security Essentials, Malwarebytes then Spybot SD 2, also how often would you recommend one should scan their computer?

Btw I have been using MS Config for the past year to manage my start up programs after reading on quite a few sites that it was recommended to do so and am now using Start up Inspector after reading on this site that it seems to be a good utility, am I correct to do this?

Edited by DragonKnight, 18 December 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Update:
The only error message that has come up since is: “is missing Critical components required to run. You will need to reinstall the application. If you continue to have problems please contact customer support.” This message has come up in the past even though I never installed XoftSpySE as far as I am aware.

Is XoftSpySE the program that the error message is addressing?

Could uninstalling that remnant of Eset Nod 32 really have fixed all the problems I was having at start up.

Yes, remnants such as this can cause instability.

Is there any order one should scan in, I usually do Security Essentials, Malwarebytes then Spybot SD 2, also how often would you recommend one should scan their computer?

It shouldn't make any difference which scan or in what order. How often you run the scans would depend on how often you go online, how often you visit questionable sites... By questionable sites I'm referring to site where there are known dangers, such as sites that you can download peer to peer data, utorrents to b specific.

Btw I have been using MS Config for the past year to manage my start up programs after reading on quite a few sites that it was recommended to do so and am now using Start up Inspector after reading on this site that it seems to be a good utility, am I correct to do this?

Microsoft Support has the answers.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

msconfig is a diagnostic utility and should not be used to make permanent changes to startup programs or services. Services should be managed through services.msc and programs and other startup processes should be managed through a dedicated 3rd party app. One such simple app is Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel - I've been using it forever and it's a pleasure to use.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Allan, I couldn't remember the name of the program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users