Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSHD vs RAID?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

I have been accepted into a Beta Testing Program, and will soon be installing a New unreleased 2TB SSHD, and Upgrading my Windows 7 64-Bit to Windows 8 PRO 64-Bit.
Presently I have a RAID 0+1, using 3-Samsung F3 Spinpoint HD103SJ @ 1TB each.
I do Mild MMORPG Gaming (Lotro, WoW, & D3), I Burn CD's, & Videos, and General Web Surfing (Facebook, Forums, Twitter, Streaming Video, etc.,)
Wanted to find out which Hard-drive is going to be Best for which Software, and/or Should I Re-Format my RAID back to 3 separate Hard-Drives, or Leave the RAID as is?
Perhaps Load everything into the SSHD? Perhaps Uninstall the RAID configuration, and Use 1 of the Spinpoints for Back-up (and Box up the other 2)??
Wanted to see what would be the Best Over-all recommendation(s) for this.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 125W C3 Revision (HDZ955FBGMBOX) 3.2ghz Black Ed. 64-bit Socket AM3
GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 Motherboard
G.SKILL Rip-Jaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM
3 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive RAID 0 Striped, 1- Hard-drive for Backup
THERMALTAKE Armor+MX Case 23cm Side Fan Model
THERMALTAKE TR2 RX 850W Black Widow, Silver 80 Certified
COOLER MASTER Hyper N620 CPU Cooler
2 x (Crossfire) XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
PLEXTOR PX-880SA DVD/CD Super Multi - Writer, DVD 24X, CD-R 48X, SATA, w/Lightscribe
CREATIVE SOUND Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
LOGITECH MX5500 Revolution (Wireless Keyboard & Mouse)
LOGITECH Z-5300e Audio System
LOGITECH G930 Wireless Headset (On a Mumble Server)
WINDOWS 7 Home Premium Edition 64-Bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

With this unknown unreleased 2TB SSD drive i can't exactly guarantee that it might be faster then your current RAID setup. You could just install it as a secondary drive and run some benchmarks and tests on the drive itself to see how fast it is.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

You could try dual booting windows 7 and 8 and keep your current config, try the new drive with its own OS to compare. I know it would also be comparing windows 7 to 8, but they both have about the same performance as far as gaming in my opinion.

#4 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:47 AM

With this unknown unreleased 2TB SSD drive i can't exactly guarantee that it might be faster then your current RAID setup. You could just install it as a secondary drive and run some benchmarks and tests on the drive itself to see how fast it is.

So, which Benchmark Testing Programs would you recommend? Links?
Since, I have my system Listed, do You see a need to speed-up my RAM?
(I have been offered a "Deal" from G.Skill to go to 4x4GB 1866)

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

RAID 0 is something that should be avoided unless you have traditional drives AND you are aiming for speed. If you only occasionally access files on the standard drive, a non-RAID setup would be the way to go. Games are often loaded into system memory at launch, so you don't really need RAID 0 for speed in this application unless you don't like waiting a few seconds, or find the cost of an SSD too high.

Most home users typically aim for redundancy, other RAID types or the Storage Spaces setup in Windows 8 might be more beneficial in this case, especially when paired with an online backup solution like Crashplan.

As for the RAM, are you willing to overclock the RAM to get those speeds? AMD uses DDR3-1333 as standard and you may have to tweak around in the BIOS to get it to these overclocked speeds. You will probably not get much benefit out of overclocking RAM from 1333 speeds to 1866.

Synthetic benchmarks are relatively useless, real world performance is what matters. Benchmarking software can often help "burn in" your hardware. For this, I would go with Furmark for the GPU, and Prime95 for the RAM/CPU.

3939.png

#6 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

RAID 0 is something that should be avoided unless you have traditional drives AND you are aiming for speed. If you only occasionally access files on the standard drive, a non-RAID setup would be the way to go. Games are often loaded into system memory at launch, so you don't really need RAID 0 for speed in this application unless you don't like waiting a few seconds, or find the cost of an SSD too high.

Most home users typically aim for redundancy, other RAID types or the Storage Spaces setup in Windows 8 might be more beneficial in this case, especially when paired with an online backup solution like Crashplan.

As for the RAM, are you willing to overclock the RAM to get those speeds? AMD uses DDR3-1333 as standard and you may have to tweak around in the BIOS to get it to these overclocked speeds. You will probably not get much benefit out of overclocking RAM from 1333 speeds to 1866.

Synthetic benchmarks are relatively useless, real world performance is what matters. Benchmarking software can often help "burn in" your hardware. For this, I would go with Furmark for the GPU, and Prime95 for the RAM/CPU.

Well, I was hoping that you would have a suggestion on the Most important part of my Initial Post, as To what I should do with this Monster 2TB SSHD (Beta) I'm going to be Testing??
Do You think I should go ahead and Load the Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit OS onto this new SSHD (and everything else for that matter), and just dump the RAID and those Old Style HDD's?

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Unreleased and Beta? I think I would keep my current setup as a just in case. You seem like you wanted speed and safety with your current setup. Beta mens it could go bad at anytime or have some show stopping defect surface under real world conditions.

Any drive can die, be it a SSD, A traditional drive or a hybrid drive.

As for Windows 8, Do You have a touchscreen? If you aren't going to use the touchscreen functionality, why switch from Windows 7.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 December 2012 - 03:57 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Unreleased and Beta? I think I would keep my current setup as a just in case. You seem like you wanted speed and safety with your current setup. Beta mens it could go bad at anytime or have some show stopping defect surface under real world conditions.

Any drive can die, be it a SSD, A traditional drive or a hybrid drive.

As for Windows 8, Do You have a touchscreen? If you aren't going to use the touchscreen functionality, why switch from Windows 7.

Good Luck
Roger

Nope, No Touch Screen...,
But One of the Requirements for this Beta Test was to have Windows 8 64-Bit (which they supplied), and they supplied a Flash Drive that has all their Required Software for testing Loaded into it....
Since I have never done Hardware Testing before, I found it Kinda Cool that they even Had My Name, and my "Profile" Printed on the Sealed Wrapper that the SSHD is in :thumbsup:
Perhaps, I'll just Leave my Present Setup with Windows 7 (Just in Case), and Put the Windows 8 on the SSHD as per their Instructions (Dual Boot)

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Good Luck with this Project

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Windows 8 is not bad on non-touch devices. I barely use the Start Screen and there are some under-the-hood improvements which makes it compelling. Since you are beta testing a storage device, I would keep my original setup going just in case and only using the beta drive for stuff I'm willing to lose.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users