Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS Preload Wizard, help?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Innocent Llama

Innocent Llama

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

Okay I decided to reinstall Windows 7 with 4 recovery discs. The laptop has loaded all 4 discs to 100% and once the disc tray popped open, I took the last disc out and continued onwards to the ASUS Preload Wizard.

I chose a language, and then was given three options to pick from. I'm honestly not sure which one to pick:

1) Recover Windows to first partition only.
i. This option will delete only the first partition, allowing you to keep other partitions, and create a new system partition as drive “C”.

2) Recover Windows to entire HD.
i. This option will delete all partitions from your hard disk drive and create a new system partition as drive “C”.

3) Recover Windows to entire HD with two partitions.
i. This option will delete all partitions from your hard drive and create two new partitions “C” (60%) and “D” (40%).

Which one should I choose? I only want to restore everything back to factory conditions to erase a virus, I'm not interested in backing up anything. The last time I checked the 'My Computer' folder, I only had a C: drive titled "OS", and I think an E: drive titled something I can't remember. Nothing was in the optical drive either.

edit: I might have had a hidden partition somewhere that would have let me reinstall by hitting F9 after a restart. Either way, it looks like I would have ended up at this Preload Wizard anyway. From what I've been reading online, neither choice erases the hidden partition, but I still can't decide which one to choose.

Please respond. My computer is an ASUS Notebook K52F.

Edited by Innocent Llama, 18 December 2012 - 06:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Is this regarding the same computer which you have an active topic in the Am I Infected forum?

If it is not, please post the make and model of this computer.

2) Recover Windows to entire HD.
i. This option will delete all partitions from your hard disk drive and create a new system partition as drive “C”.

The second option will achieve what you have indicated you wish to do.

Edited by dc3, 18 December 2012 - 09:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users