Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Laptop: Not booting: Black screen: No BIOS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 faithhealer

faithhealer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

My 4 years old Compaq Presario c700 (C794) laptop is not booting up. Does not go into BIOS, and does not even show the message “Press F10 to enter BIOS” etc.

• I see a clear black screen (but has backlit and I am able to adjust the brightness using Fn keys). Tried on the desktop monitor, it is black too.
  • The HD is running intermittently, all LEDs are on, and the fan is running.
  • Windows is not booting up, there is no log on sound. WIFI light is also orange, it becomes green after booting is complete. HD activity is on but it is not as much to boot up Windows 7.

Troubleshooting I did till now:
  • Hard reset by holding down the power button several times.
  • Cleaned RAM and placed it in another slot.
  • Removed the power and battery and kept it overnight.
  • Tried on the desktop monitor, it is black too.

This happened all of a sudden. I did not do any BIOS updates or anything that normally causes these kind of problem. I learned from some forums that an exhausted CMOS battery can cause it. Is it true? In this case, can you please give the location of the CMOS battery in these laptops?

What are the other measures I can take?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

If this is a driver issue and you can boot into Safe Mode you should be able to see the screen and/or an external monitor. Safe Mode uses a limited number of drivers, the video driver is native to Windows, so if there is a problem with the video chip driver this should work.

When the computer starts up is goes through the POST (Power On Self Test) where it looks at the peripheral devices, if there is a failure it will not launch the BIOS.

Usually this type of failure is because of a hardware problem, hdd, RAM... So this is a possibility of what's happening. I'll wait until you try Safe Mode before testing hardware.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 faithhealer

faithhealer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

The laptop is not booting into BIOS. There is nothing on the screen. So can't boot in safemode now. Need to start up BIOS first.

Last night, I removed the RAM and tried to boot. I could not hear any beeps as I was expecting. But the glow (backlit) of the screen was gone. I restored the RAM and the backlit was back. Doed that mean that the RAM is OK. But why no beeps? MB is gone? I have only one RAM module.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

If there is no display on the external monitor or laptop screen it could be that either the motherboard or the video chip on the motherboard has failed. If this is the case then you will have to replace the motherboard as the video chip is not sold separately.

One other thing to try would be to reset the CMOS. In order to give you instructions for doing this I will need the model of this laptop. You have listed Compaq Presario c700 (C794) laptop, I have Googled both and found information for both models, which one is yours?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 faithhealer

faithhealer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hi,

My model is C794. The video chip is integrated, unfortunately.

I will try resetting the CMOS battery. In some laptops, it may be an exhausted CMOS battery as well, I heard.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Yes, the video chip is integrated, this is also known as "onboard video".

The bottom line is that if this is the problem you will have to replace the motherboard. This could cost a couple hundred dollars, with a four year old machine I would think seriously about not investing any more money in this computer.

I see that you have posted a topic on this subject at PC Help and have received help there. You were provided with a link to a site where you could find instructions for replacing the CMOS battery. Were you not satisfied with these instructions?

#7 faithhealer

faithhealer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

Laptop is working after CMOS reset. Thanks for all your suggestions. I am not sure if the battery was exhausted. I just got it replaced. HP has placed the CMOS battery in such a place that you need to take down the entire laptop to reach it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users