Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome Browser Hijacking of Start-up Pages

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 smegly

smegly

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

I get the following message when using Chrome(and only using Chrome) when a log-in is attempted on this url: http://mail.aol.com/37208-

111/aol-6/en-us/Suite.aspx --->

Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.
Error 107 (net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR): SSL protocol error.

Running adwcleaner everything is clean except the Chrome browser where I get this in the subsequent log file:

-\\ Google Chrome v23.0.1271.97

File : C:\Documents and Settings\Bettye Siebels\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences

[OK] File is clean.

File : C:\Documents and Settings\Craig\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences

Found [l.20] : urls_to_restore_on_startup = [ "hxxp://search.iminent.com/" ]
Found [l.3594] : urls_to_restore_on_startup = [ "hxxp://search.iminent.com/" ]

I can use the delete function while running adwcleaner and then turn around and run adwcleaner again and those last two lines are back in the log. I also find that from time to time the designated start pages that are set under settings in Chrome just disappear. I've tried to solve this but can't.

I've run eset online scanner as well as TDSS Killer, aswMBR, MBRchk and a quick scan using Malwarebytes.

If you could help me on this one it would be appreciated.

Running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 5.1.2600 SP3

Edited by smegly, 18 December 2012 - 12:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

Do you have any extensions on the chrome setting page that look fishy?

Update and run the full system scan of malwarebytes, then if that doesn't fine anything try HitmanPro, it's free for 30 days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users