Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Think I'm infected with something

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 median

median

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

HP Intel Core I3 (laptop)
4 Gig Ram
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, SP1

I am getting a Firefox notification every time I try to visit certain sites (i.e. - Gmail.com). I get this error message:
---------------------------
"
This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect
securely to accounts.google.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
Normally, when you try to connect securely,
sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to
this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is
trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

accounts.google.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate will not be valid until 12/6/2012 12:54 AM. The current time is 10/22/2012 11:06 PM.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)"
---------------------------

I have restarted in Safe Mode w/Networking and ran Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, and ESET scanner. Superantispyware found cookies and a malicious program, which were deleted (I think) but I am still having computer issues (same error message on some sites) and this PC was JUST reloaded with a fresh copy of the OS.

Can someone help?

Thanks

Edited by median, 17 December 2012 - 11:36 PM.

"There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way." Buddha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Is your system time and date correct?

Malwarebytes is most effective when it's ran in normal mode, please run a full system scan in normal mode.

Do you have any tool bars or addons installed for firefox please lists them.

Here is some more information about security certificates for firefox.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/secure-connection-failed-error-message

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/666001

Edited by C.L.C, 17 December 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#3 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

Is your system time and date correct?

Malwarebytes is most effective when it's ran in normal mode, please run a full system scan in normal mode.

Do you have any tool bars or addons installed for firefox please lists them.

Here is some more information about security certificates for firefox.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/secure-connection-failed-error-message

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/666001

Actually, the time and date on my PC are NOT correct. And in fact, I can't get TO BE correct. Every time I try to set them, they don't "stick". As far as addons, I have adobe acrobat, java toolkit, java platform, shockwave flash, silverlight (for netflix), and vlc media plugin.

UPDATE: OK so I just changed the time/date in windows toolbar (bottom right) and the problem was fixed! So that leads me to the other problem. Why won't windows keep good time? Something is wrong. For some reason it will not auto update or keep "ticking" properly to keep good time.

Edited by median, 18 December 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#4 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

Does the time only get messed up after the computer is shut down or does it happen while the machine is on?

If it happens only when the machine is turned of then turned back on you would need a new cmos battery.

If you are not sure, turn off your computer, unplug the power cord, then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Plug it back in and turn on the machine, if the time and date are not right then you know its the battery.

#5 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Does the time only get messed up after the computer is shut down or does it happen while the machine is on?

If it happens only when the machine is turned of then turned back on you would need a new cmos battery.

If you are not sure, turn off your computer, unplug the power cord, then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Plug it back in and turn on the machine, if the time and date are not right then you know its the battery.

It might be the CMOS battery but the time only stays correct when I'm actually using the machine. If I shut the lid (but the pc is still on), the time goes array, same if I logoff (machine still on), or shut down.

#6 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

are you manually changing the time or are you syncing with internet time? When you are in your date and time settings you should see a tab that says internet time, go in and make sure its set to sync.

Does this happen with the ac adapter plugged in?

#7 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

are you manually changing the time or are you syncing with internet time? When you are in your date and time settings you should see a tab that says internet time, go in and make sure its set to sync.

Does this happen with the ac adapter plugged in?

It is set to auto sync with internet but will only keep good time when I'm using the machine. I am not using manual. Logoff, close lid, or shutdown = no go.

#8 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

You didn't mention if happens with the ac adapter plugged in or not?

It does sound like your cmos battery though, they are extremely cheap, if you would post the make and model of your laptop I should be able to tell you how to change it.

#9 median

median
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

You didn't mention if happens with the ac adapter plugged in or not?

It does sound like your cmos battery though, they are extremely cheap, if you would post the make and model of your laptop I should be able to tell you how to change it.

Thank you for the help on this. I think this is it: http://laptops.thingsfinder.com/hp/g72-227wm/

I don't know if this problem happens with the AC adapter out. It does happen with it plugged in. So I am assuming yes. Actually, I am pretty sure the answer is yes b/c it happened the last time I had it unplugged for a while.

#10 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

HP Intel Core I3 (laptop)
4 Gig Ram
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, SP1

It doesn't match these specs, the processor is different. If you can't find the model number on the bottom of the laptop then it is in the battery bay, pull out your battery and you will find it. Just want to make sure we have the right one.

Edited by C.L.C, 20 December 2012 - 08:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users