Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting Over Just After Scratch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 farrit

farrit

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

ok i need to delete the hard drive but i dont want to delete windows and stuff because long story short i dont have the reinstallation disks... i dont want to erase the drivers or any thing needed to operate the computer as i normally would. lke to go on the internet and play games an stuff... basically return it to the condition it was when it was new... but here is the major dilema... i cant get to desk top... the farthest i can get to is the part where i would enter command prompts, (which i know close to nothing about, other than to type exactly as a tech helper tells me to). is this even possible or am i better of buy ing a new hard drive... also does a new hard drive come with windows and stuff pre installed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:04 PM

Did your computer come with a boot disc? A boot disc will restore the system to factory state, meaning it will be like you just took it out of the box. Windows and all the software that came with it will still be there; you will just have to reinstall any Windows updates that you put on after you got the computer. My Toshiba came with a boot disc, and when I used it, I never went passed the title screen; I inserted the boot disc (before booting up the computer), and while it booted, I held the 'C' key on the keyboard. The computer loaded the boot disc, and all I had to do was follow the on screen instructions.

Each computer has a different way of doing this. What kind of computer do you have? If you didn't get a boot disc, there is probably another way to restore the computer to factory settings; HPs have a place on the HD that you can access to restore the system. Check your users manual, the boot disc cover (if you have a boot disc), the manufactorer's website, or call their tech support to find out how to do this.

As for buying a new HD, I don't think they come with windows installed...and I wouldn't do that unless your current one is completly unsalvagable. Try the factory restore first. I've done it twice...it works!!

Edited by rms4evr, 25 March 2006 - 11:49 PM.

#3 farrit

farrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

well thank u 4 responding first off..
ya see the the thing is a buddy of mine got a new comp and said i can have his old one if i can get it to work... i'll ask him about the factory default disk thingy but if he doesnt have one could you tell me an other way to do this?
also... could you tell me in detail as to how to go about using the disk... because im not exactly a tech genious... though i am a notch or two above every day use... and one last thing its an e machine if it makes a diff... and its running xp

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:03 PM

It isn't a "boot" disk you are looking for, although Windows XP creates a set of 6 boot disks but you have to make them - or you can download a set from Microsoft here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

What you do need is either the Windows XP Installation CD or a System Restoration cd made specifically for your computer's configuration from the manufacturer of your computer which will restore the original Windows XP installation to what it was when the computer was new. Some of them have a repair installation on them as well which will repair your installation of XP without destroying data on the drive.

Some computers from certain manufacturers have a hidden partition on the hard drive which does the same thing as the System Restoration disk and is accessed by pressing an F key or DEL before Windows tries to start. Look at the bottom of your monitor screen while booting to see if there are any directions for this feature.

Let us know exactly what your computer is - the manufacturer, the model number, etc, and we will try to give you additional help.

#5 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:05 PM

It isn't a "boot" disk you are looking for, although Windows XP creates a set of 6 boot disks but you have to make them - or you can download a set from Microsoft here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

What you do need is either the Windows XP Installation CD or a System Restoration cd made specifically for your computer's configuration from the manufacturer of your computer which will restore the original Windows XP installation to what it was when the computer was new. Some of them have a repair installation on them as well which will repair your installation of XP without destroying data on the drive.

Some computers from certain manufacturers have a hidden partition on the hard drive which does the same thing as the System Restoration disk and is accessed by pressing an F key or DEL before Windows tries to start. Look at the bottom of your monitor screen while booting to see if there are any directions for this feature.

Let us know exactly what your computer is - the manufacturer, the model number, etc, and we will try to give you additional help.

That's what I meant! Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude, but Toshiba (my computer's brand) calls it a boot disc. My parent's HP doesn't have a boot disc...instead, it has the restore partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users