Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if this is a virus...?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PersonaUser314

PersonaUser314

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

So I was putting my computer into sleep mode for the night, when I noticed that unlike when I usually Sleep my computer, the red laser light from my mouse didn't turn off, and my computer still seemed to be making noises that indicated the harddrive and other such things were still operating. Despite this, my monitor had gone black.

Thinking it was just spazzing, I hit the space bar on my keyboard, which usually wakes my computer up from sleep mode, but nothing appared on my monitor. I thught it was just a fault with my D-sub cable, so I jiggled that around and nothing came of it. I turned my PC off and on again by unplugging the power source (I know, that's not exactly good for a desktop, but it was all I could think to do) and letting it switch on. My monitor registered that my computer was on, but defaulted to its power save mode within about 5 seconds, there was no sign of any loading up activity on the screen before it defaulted.

Switching it off and on again, I hit F8, which got a reaction, the usual menu popped up asking if I wanted to start Windows normally and I hit enter to indicate I did. The screen blacked out and my monitor went to power save mode again.

Off and on-ing a third time, I've started the system up in Safe Mode with Networking, which is having no issues with my monitor and is making me think I've been whammied by a virus, since it's on;y when I try to get onto my main account that things start to go hinky and if it was a cable issue, I wouldn't be able to see safe mode either.

Can anyone help me out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

What Operating System Are you using?

#3 PersonaUser314

PersonaUser314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

My OS is Windows 7

#4 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

When you press F8 options do you get a choice to repair your computer? Do you have a regular retail windows 7 DVD? The reason I'm asking is that you maybe be able to access system restore and restore your computer back to before you had this problem.

Here is a tutorial to do it from the windows 7 DVD, if you have the F8 option to repair your computer it should work the same. "DO NOT go into the command prompt!"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

#5 PersonaUser314

PersonaUser314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

Yes, I've gone into Repair and System Restored to an earlier point, which has let me log on like normal.

Is there something I should do to make sure this wasn't a virus? I can run my usual anti-virus scan obviously, but does anything else need doing?

(and, sorry to ask but I'm only doing so on account of your posst count/join date: are you a member of one of the repair teams here???)

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

Hi -
If you do not have these 2 programs already installed, then please Install , Update and run a Full Scan with them -
Both of these >> Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SuperantiSpyware Free
They will produce a log when completed -

Please Copy and Paste those logs back here -

Thank You -

#7 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Yes, I've gone into Repair and System Restored to an earlier point, which has let me log on like normal.

Is there something I should do to make sure this wasn't a virus? I can run my usual anti-virus scan obviously, but does anything else need doing?

(and, sorry to ask but I'm only doing so on account of your posst count/join date: are you a member of one of the repair teams here???)

No I am not a member of the repair team here, but I am a computer repair tech. Run the scans as suggested above.

Edited by C.L.C, 18 December 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#8 PersonaUser314

PersonaUser314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Ran my anti-virus; Microsoft security essentials for a full scan, nothing was picked up. Ran Malwarebytes for a quick scan, nothing was detected (log below, if you want it.

That's OK, I was just checking lolXD

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.1.1000
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.12.18.04

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514
Lauren :: LAUREN-PC [administrator]

18/12/2012 14:56:17
mbam-log-2012-12-18 (14-56-17).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 227260
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 44 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

#9 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

It could be a driver issue, I have not heard of any kind of virus that behaves this way as of yet. Update your drivers. Try using SlimDrivers if you can't find them all, it's free and it works well for hard to find drivers. Make sure to add a restore point before you update all your drivers.

Maybe noknojon can add some more insight.

Edited by C.L.C, 18 December 2012 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users