Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General slowness in loading videos from YouTube etc.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chastain86

Chastain86

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone can help with this. I'm experiencing quite a bit of slowness when loading streaming videos through YouTube and other video sites -- most videos stop several times during playback. I've gone through the desktop with a fine-toothed comb for malware with MalwareBytes, AVG 2013, and ESET, and everything appears to be on the up and up. A speed test on my ISP is showing that I've got a download speed of 32.79 and an upload speed of 20.90, with a latency of 18ms... so it's not my provider. I've also updated to the newest versions of Flash and Java.

At this point I'm thinking it's a router issue. The router is an ASUS RT-N12, which is about a $40 model, but it was fine for my needs up until a week or so ago. I've reset it, and I've returned it to the original factory settings -- no dice.

Can you guys think of anything else I can try before I throw my hands up and invest in a more robust router?

Edited by Chastain86, 17 December 2012 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

You may need to clear your browser cache, I'm not sure what browser you are using but a simple Google search will tell you how to do it.

Also if you are using Google chrome you may want to turn off the tick box in settings that says,
"Predict network actions to improve page load performance."

If you cant figure it out tell me what browser and I will give you a screen shot of how its done.

Edited by C.L.C, 17 December 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#3 Chastain86

Chastain86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hi CLC --

Thanks for the help. I've already cleared the browser cache a couple times, but no dice there. I'm currently using Internet Explorer 9. I have Chrome and Firefox on this computer as well, but IE is what I primarily use. The issue with loading videos is the same across all browsers.

#4 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Is there another PC or laptop in the home that you can compare load/streaming times with? Also is this over a wireless or wired connection? Have you recently updated any drivers?

Edited by C.L.C, 17 December 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#5 Chastain86

Chastain86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

I loaded videos using my HP laptop on a wireless connection, and there's some mild slowness, but nothing like the desktop PC (which is wired directly to the router) is experiencing. I should mention that my Xbox 360 is also wired directly into the router and is experiencing the same slowness in loading video -- this is why I suspect it's a router issue, but I wanted to confirm with an expert to see if you concur.

I haven't updated drivers recently.

#6 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

The fact that it's only happening on the wired connections makes it sound like router issue.

Has this been happening for a while and getting worse?

Have you tried without the xbox plugged into the router or visa versa?

You could also try to update the router firmware.

Download this file "ASUS RT-N12 Firmware Version 1.0.1.4" http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=rt-n12&p=11&os=8

Download this user manual "ASUS RT-N12 user manual in English",it's at the same link, instructions on page 32 ASUS RT-N12 user manual in English

If you are not sure how to log into your router its on page 27 of the user manual.

If none of these things make a difference it may be time to get a new router.

#7 Chastain86

Chastain86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

It has been getting progressively worse -- but only as it relates to streaming video. I haven't noticed appreciable slowness in loading web pages or other basic functionality.

I will update router firmware this evening and see if that helps, but I think the router itself may be the issue. It sounds like you agree.

Do you have any recommendations for good quality, speedy wireless routers that retail for around or under $100?

#8 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

It has been getting progressively worse -- but only as it relates to streaming video. I haven't noticed appreciable slowness in loading web pages or other basic functionality.

I will update router firmware this evening and see if that helps, but I think the router itself may be the issue. It sounds like you agree.

Do you have any recommendations for good quality, speedy wireless routers that retail for around or under $100?

I did forget to ask you if you have a modem from your isp and a wireless router? And do you have a 2.4 GHz phone or baby monitor?

Don't forget to unplug the xbox and see what happens, you can also try plugging into different ports if you have more available.

I would suggest looking on newegg and going with a router that has a high ranking. Or, if your ISP provides a router with wireless built in that would be the best way to go, as they would have to support it.

#9 Chastain86

Chastain86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hi CLC,

As expected my router basically crapped out on me today, so I replaced it with a new Netgear N750 Dual-Band Gigabit router. However, I'm still experiencing slowness in loading videos, which is troubling. I'd hoped that replacing my old one with one a little more robust would fix the issue.

At this point, I'm wondering if there's not something else at work here that I'm not seeing. Would you recommend starting a thread in the malware forum to see if maybe there's something bubbling under the surface?

I'm kind of at a loss on where to go from here.

#10 C.L.C

C.L.C

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

It wouldn't hurt to check for viruses/malware and post about this in more than one place. If you are really worried you could download the kaspersy live cd burn it to cd and run that, it's quite good. Bitdefnder also has one. Malwarebytes is great as long as you run a full system scan.

Did you uninstall your Ethernet card, reboot, then re-install it? You could also try disabling IPv6 in the adapter settings. If it's none of these things I would suspect your modem to be the culprit, not your router. Did you try running the pc just of the modem?

Basically if its not these and its not the modem, I'm pretty much stumped with out physically being able to go over everything:(

#11 Chastain86

Chastain86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'm running MBAM again to see if maybe I'm missing something. I'm not too worried right now about overall system performance -- obviously it's not ideal to have slowness in video streaming, but at least the system is still running with no glaring faults right now. I also did unplug the X360 as you suggested, to see if perhaps that was the issue, as well as running the modem directly into the tower instead of the router. No dice.

I put up a post in the Malware forum to see if one of those guys can put me through the paces on a possible infection. I did notice that I've got two instances of iexplorer.exe running in the Windows Task Manager, but whether that's an indication of an infection or not, I could not say. For what it's worth, AVG 2013 didn't seem to find anything the other night when I ran it, but who knows.

I appreciate the help you gave me though, man. Hopefully I can get this ironed out soon, but it doesn't seem to be router based at least. I would guess at this point we can close the thread. If I need to chat with you on this topic again, I'll open up something else down the road. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users