Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading To Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rvan801

Rvan801

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:24 PM

I've recently decided to upgrade a computer whose Windows ME operating system is dysfunctional to Windows XP, as a way of "solving" the problem. My question is, does upgrading preserve files, or am I obligated to reformat? Also, since this computer is several years old, and was made to support Windows ME, might there be any technical limitations that would prevent XP from working once installed? Finally, whereas MS-DOS is currently accessible on the Windows ME computer (by using a boot disk) even in its current state, would that be the case if I went through the XP installation, and something went wrong (which raises another question: what could go wrong?)? I thank anyone in advance who can answer any of these questions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

im in the same boat as you, only my computer isn't 7 years old lol! im also wondering how hard it is to upgrade from ME to XP.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

Hi. No, you will loose everything when you upgrade. They call it an upgrade but that only means you were given a break on the price because you had windows before. You will have to install, the entire XP system which means formatting your hard drive. The first thing you should do is back all your data up.
Your hard were should be P-III (IMO) 512mb of RAM and a 8.4 gb hard drive or larger.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:50 PM

You might find this article from PCWorld useful (especially section E):

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,78043,00.asp

I opted for a clean install of XP over ME rather than doing the upgrade. While this was certainly more time comsuming, I think it resulted in a more stable operating system.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users