Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard has limited function in safe mode, and mouse doesn't work at all

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bohmbach

bohmbach

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

I have a Gateway PC, 5 or so years old, running Windows XP Media Edition.

A few days ago, soon after having installed some Windows updates, my wireless Microsoft mouse and keyboard stopped working. I plugged in a spare PS/2 mouse, and in the bluetooth dialog box removed, added, and reconnected both components. The wireless mouse and keyboard worked, but not for long. I then uninstalled and attempted to reinstall the mouse and keyboard software (except that the software apparently had not uninstalled). This did not fix the problem.

From here on I tried so many things, I do not recall in what order. I did a system restore via Advanced System Care, then tried again using a much earlier date. After a very long wait I was informed that my system could not be restored to that date.

I ran Reimage, which reported a moderately severe stability problem with numerous crashes. This program fixed and replaced files, etc, but got stuck while attempting to reinstall Windows updates (during repairs, Reimage removes Windows updates and reinstalls them afterward, but for some reason this last step has never worked with my computer and I've had to reinstall the updates manually). The computer was frozen and I was forced to turn it off using the power button. When I turned the computer back on, I had no working keyboard or mouse, and again had to use the power button to turn off the computer.

I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard and started the computer in bios, resetting bios to default settings. No change. At some point in safe mode I opted to restore to the last known good configuration.Restarted and ran a full scan with Avast!, which found several problems and asked to continue upon restart. The continued scan came up with one medium-level threat: "c:\Documents and settings\All users\Application Data\{484395D8-1F9B-4C71-9DA9-A64CBD0E8DE2}\setup.res|>hstart.exe is infected by win32:HiddenStart [PUP]." Without a mouse, I was not able to tell Avast! what to do with it. I Googled the result and found that the file is a Family Treemaker file. I located the file, saw that it contained nothing, and deleted it.

Next I ran scans with Malwarebytes, which found nothing, and Advanced System Care, which fixed a lot, especially in the registry. In the meantime, the only way I was able to use the mouse was to restart the computer in safe mode, opt to do a system restore, and choose the first restore point of the day. This temporary fix is no longer available to me because I can't get back to that day's restore points. In terms of the keyboard, only the arrows, Start Menu button, and (sometimes) Escape button worked, and only in bios or safe mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Advanced System Care, which fixed a lot, especially in the registry

The IObit program is just a Registry Cleaner that will repair almost nothing, except your hope - You will never know if it repaired anything -
You are better off to remove all Chinese IObit programs and only use proven programs for your computer

Malwarebytes and Advanced System Care will not operate correctly on the same system, as both clash with each other
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a proven and trusted program world wide, while IObit is forced on Chinese users as their options are limited.

Do you have a Regular Antivirus program that is active and is scanning at all times ??

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users