Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dim Lightbulb

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ricklude

ricklude

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:54 PM

[COLOR=purple]To All Who May Read This,
I know this is not the correct section to post this message but, I have been a real "dim light bulb" for the past few days.

I was having problems with a reappearing alert that the computer had a virus but it was deleted automatically. This happened every 15 min. non-stop for the past 4 days.

I had a full days chat session with the tech. support people of my anti-virus program, running ALL kinds of scans, deleting files and such with NO RESULT. :flowers:

Determined to resolve this dilemma and abate the problem, I finally phoned a tech and was told AT LAST that... "There is nothing wrong with your computer." and my anti-virus program is, " working quite effectivelly.".

The problem, I was informed, was an adware or spyware programme which was trying to infect the computer with the virus [ QHosts - 18lhosts ] every 15 min. and the anti-virus was deleting it every time therefore, when The computer was scanned... no problem... no virus.

Mind you, this call cost over $60.00 plus interest on the credit card.

His solution... Get two Freeware Downloads from the net, install and run them. Keep them updated and you should be OK. :thumbsup:

So in addition to the 1 I paid for, I now have 2 more and guess what... the alert stopped after running the first I downloaded :trumpet:

So the moral of the story is: THINK BEFORE YOU LEAP!

Anyone interested in the names of the programs can contact me thru this site.

ricklude.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xtremesurfer

xtremesurfer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 14 November 2004 - 11:53 PM

Anyone interested in the names of the programs can contact me thru this site.

I'll guess... Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D? :thumbsup:

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:50 AM

Cant tell if this is spam or not...why not tell us these 2 programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users